HIgh RPM Engine Build Planning

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I been dreaming about a engine build for my 71 C10 build and I am looking for some insight on a build recipe. My goals are for a lot of RPM(6000-7000RPM) with a good power curve and maybe a 500-600 HP and less then a 1000LBS of torque so i can make a T56 or a gas automatic transmission live, since this would be a diesel living in a gas engine world.
The build i am planing for is:
Cast Oval bowl Pistons
9100 AF cam
Internal balanced and lighted crank(if possible)
Aluminum rods
Billet main caps
Maybe a girdle(If needed)
High flow intake bridge
100 Over injectors(maybe Bigger)
Duel Pumps
High flow oil pump or dry sump pan
External oil filter and coolers
Stock ported LB7 heads( maybe a set of Wagler head if I feel rich)
Valve Springs
Push Rods
625 head Studs
Main studs
Is there anything you guys can recommend to add to this list? This isn't happening next week but maybe next year, but I am trying to keep a budget in mind. I know that i could build a gas engine for less that would do the same thing, but diesel fuel has gotten into my blood and I am sunk. I hope I am not insane with this goal.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
IDK how realistic this goal is but I wouldn't think you would want the aluminum rods or if they even exist. You also may want the Wagler heads and their new manifold you will need to be moving a lot of air at that RPM... You may also need an aftermarket ECM to control fueling at that speed.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Did you see waglers motor spin?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yes but price tag is in the involved and it make me cringe.

IDK how realistic this goal is but I wouldn't think you would want the aluminum rods or if they even exist. You also may want the Wagler heads and their new manifold you will need to be moving a lot of air at that RPM... You may also need an aftermarket ECM to control fueling at that speed.
Wagler makes aluminum rods, but I think it will need triple turbos or a supercharger into the mix to make up the air. I am hoping the factory ecu will make it work.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013

Good thing Greg is around to help:thumb:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yes but price tag is in the involved and it make me cringe.

Wagler makes aluminum rods, but I think it will need triple turbos or a supercharger into the mix to make up the air. I am hoping the factory ecu will make it work.
I was just saying they can spin that high

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
You'll want much larger injectors and much bigger camshaft and heads to even have a chance at doing that.(effectively spinning it that fast). And then you have a monster of a motor that is capable of making triple(at least) your power goal. Aluminum rods are made for this reason but their life expectancy is much shorter.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You will need to put a lot if money in the valve train. I don't believe your goal is possible. You might would have to destroyed it as well to try and stay close to those goals. The money for something like that just is not justifiable really.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I'd be considering forged pistons. And investing more into the valvetrain as that's going to be taking the worst of it. You want to lighten and strengthen it as much as possible. Titanium parts. It will be a very expensive venture for sure.

Side note, you guys see waglers billet steel heads?

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Treed by Phinney.

Also what Ne-max said, I don't see you being able to keep power that low at that kind of engine speed. Considering the amount of air and fuel you will need to spin that fast. Which 2 cp3s and 100 overs won't supports.

I say just get a gas motor and be done with it. You can have a crazy setup for 10k. If you could make this motor work for 50k and keep it alive...

On the other hand I'm all in to see this happen!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
T56 Magnum transmission.. Is what i would get...
I got a regular viper T56 with ~500-525ftlb at the crank. 468BBC. With 275/40/17 (radial 300 wear rating) and 3.08 gears I can spin the tires, kick the car(79 Malibu wagon 4000lbs 2100/1900 f/r) sideways etc decently..

Doubling the TQ to ~1000ftlb.. How do you plan on get the car to hook outside some variation of drag radials?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
You'll want much larger injectors and much bigger camshaft and heads to even have a chance at doing that.(effectively spinning it that fast). And then you have a monster of a motor that is capable of making triple(at least) your power goal. Aluminum rods are made for this reason but their life expectancy is much shorter.
How much bigger injectors would be needed? I was thinking that light weight(4000 pounds) and lower torque, a set of aluminum should live for awhile.
You will need to put a lot if money in the valve train. I don't believe your goal is possible. You might would have to destroyed it as well to try and stay close to those goals. The money for something like that just is not justifiable really.
What valve train parts would i be looking at? Hartland rockers, light weight lifters, and retainer. What would be a more Realistic goal to shoot for?

I'd be considering forged pistons. And investing more into the valvetrain as that's going to be taking the worst of it. You want to lighten and strengthen it as much as possible. Titanium parts. It will be a very expensive venture for sure.

Side note, you guys see waglers billet steel heads?

Treed by Phinney.

Also what Ne-max said, I don't see you being able to keep power that low at that kind of engine speed. Considering the amount of air and fuel you will need to spin that fast. Which 2 cp3s and 100 overs won't supports.

I say just get a gas motor and be done with it. You can have a crazy setup for 10k. If you could make this motor work for 50k and keep it alive...

On the other hand I'm all in to see this happen!
If i remember right, Brett's truck is only running 180% overs and his will spin above 6000. But that is a point for me to think about on the being able to spin that fast at that slow of a speed. I know the gas engine is the smart choice, but since all the other car guys had done that, i want to break the mold a little.

T56 Magnum transmission.. Is what i would get...
I got a regular viper T56 with ~500-525ftlb at the crank. 468BBC. With 275/40/17 (radial 300 wear rating) and 3.08 gears I can spin the tires, kick the car(79 Malibu wagon 4000lbs 2100/1900 f/r) sideways etc decently..

Doubling the TQ to ~1000ftlb.. How do you plan on get the car to hook outside some variation of drag radials?
Sorry i used T56 as a generality, but I don't think a magnum would be up to par. One company recommend a T56 with a TR6060 internals, they said it should be good for about 1000-1200 LBS. As for tires, it will be getting stuffed with a set of 345 Michelin super sports, hopefully they can keep traction.
My hole goal with this truck is a little odd ball. I am slowly building a my 1971 Chevy c10 to be able to do autocross maybe take on the track, which would be very interesting to see how the diesel would last under power for a extended time frame. I just would love to see the duramax to become more versatile in application.

bcdeutsch731

Nov 4, 2010
Illinois
My motor will and has spun to 6000. No way in hell would I try and make it live at that rpm. The only time my motor sees that kind of rpm is when driveline parts break. I shift my truck at 4500rpm and it loves it!!

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Sorry i used T56 as a generality, but I don't think a magnum would be up to par. One company recommend a T56 with a TR6060 internals, they said it should be good for about 1000-1200 LBS. As for tires, it will be getting stuffed with a set of 345 Michelin super sports, hopefully they can keep traction.
My hole goal with this truck is a little odd ball. I am slowly building a my 1971 Chevy c10 to be able to do autocross maybe take on the track, which would be very interesting to see how the diesel would last under power for a extended time frame. I just would love to see the duramax to become more versatile in application.

Well hurry up get it done so I know what not to do with my 79 Malibu that I plan on dmax repower and pro touring with :D

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
My motor will and has spun to 6000. No way in hell would I try and make it live at that rpm. The only time my motor sees that kind of rpm is when driveline parts break. I shift my truck at 4500rpm and it loves it!!
Brett, what do you think is a save RPM to make a engine live? I need to be able to top out a gear and hold it for short periods of time because upshifting and downshifting you can lose to much time.