HELP looking for a specific temp sender

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Since the dash gauge is not direct wired to the Tranny sensor, I am not sure how you would use it. The "signal" that drives that gauge is a data stream from the TCM. If you some how reroute the sensor wires from the tranny sensor to the Pan Sensor, you are going to be giving the TCM fits about a hot tranny fluid signal.

Most, if not all the indications on the console are passed through the console computer first. None of the gauges are direct read IIRC.

I see thanks for the info
there is another way to have a dsp for the TCM:D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Since the dash gauge is not direct wired to the Tranny sensor, I am not sure how you would use it. The "signal" that drives that gauge is a data stream from the TCM. If you some how reroute the sensor wires from the tranny sensor to the Pan Sensor, you are going to be giving the TCM fits about a hot tranny fluid signal.

Most, if not all the indications on the console are passed through the console computer first. None of the gauges are direct read IIRC.

yeah I knew that, I think 260* is when the trans goes into hot mode. I wouldnt really use it consistantly, just maybe momentarilly for a few seconds to get a quick idea what oil temp is.

Jon, correct, on the 03+ trucks, all of the sensor signals (save for the speedometer) are sent to the instrument cluster over the class 2 data bus.

01-02 trucks, I think has discrete signal wires (ie, the "old fashioned way instrument panels were wired") for everything except trans fluid temp...fuel level might be over class 2 too, but in general the 01-02 trucks data bus architecture is not half as integrated/steamlined as the post mid-cycle enhancment 2003+ trucks.

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I see thanks for the info
there is another way to have a dsp for the TCM:D

Simon I thought of that, but I think when in "trans hot mode", the TCM changes more things (that are undesirable) than we can change in EFILive.

Ie, yes we can see SOME "trans hot" shift pattern tables, but there are additional converter lockup and pressure/timing tables that we DONT have access to. :(

ben

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Simon I thought of that, but I think when in "trans hot mode", the TCM changes more things (that are undesirable) than we can change in EFILive.

Ie, yes we can see SOME "trans hot" shift pattern tables, but there are additional converter lockup and pressure/timing tables that we DONT have access to. :(

ben

I wasnt serious,but what kind of things have you noticed with hot trans?
are they consitant things? could we possibly bennifit from it? if we put in the effort?

I liked the idea,but think a gauge willl be what i go with

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Im not sure, I have never had my trans go into "hot" mode. I beleive it changes shift points around and forces the converter to stay locked to try to bring temps down.

I wonder if, when in hot mode, it would force the converter to lock immediately, not like in normal mode where it waits for a specified difference in turbine vs input rpm...hmmmmm.... could be sort of a poor-mans co-pilot.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Jon I thought it was the complete opposite? eSI says it "applies the converter clutch to reduce heat". Where does it say it never locks the converter in hot mode?

If it does we can alter hot mode shifts,fool the sensor into thinking it's hot
and basically use it for a converter lock:)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Simon hopefully Brayden will see this one, he would know for sur.e

if thats the case then it would definetly be a clever idea! :cool:

ben

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
When my tranny got hot, the converter wouldn't lock. Other than that, I don't know.

An unlocked converter flows way more fluid than an unlocked. FWIW

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
hmmmm thats wierd...when my buddy's LBZ trans got hot he said the converter wouldnt unlock "Like it was in tow/haul". WIerd?? :confused:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Minimum calibrated temp. None of the sensors we use go to absolute zero (something less than -200*F) The lower the voltage (resistance) the lower the temp. At 0 Volts (0 Ohms) the sensor is as low as it goes. However, any decent control circuit will pop an error since the sensor would never get there if it was operating correctly.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
thanks again fingers

I talked to a few more people Ben and they seem to agree with the unlocked converter:( To bad,I thought you might be onto something there