HELP looking for a specific temp sender

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone know where I can find a temp sender that is the same range of resistance as the Allison trans fluid temp sensor/thermistor?

The allison sensor range is

141951 ohms at -45* C

2780 ohms at 25* C

37 ohms at 160* C

what I want to do is find a temp sender that is the same range as this, and use it as an engine oil temp sensor...then I could wire it in together with the allison trans temp sensor on a double throw switch.

so then I could flip the switch back and forth and see both trans temp and engine oil temp on the factory trans temp gauge in the instrument cluster. :D

that way I wouldnt have to add another external gauge, and I think it would be kinda clever to set it up this way. I mean if the oil temp gets above 250* or so I think the trans goes into "hot" mode, but then you can just flip it back and it will go back to normal.

any ideas?

thanks
ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
does anyone else want to do this too? the sensor is 13 bucks but appearantly they have a minimum order amount of 30.00 :rolleyes:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'd be interested if you can tell me how to make it work on an 06. I've been wanting an oil temp sensor for a while.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
6-speed allisons have the same thermistor in the pressure switch manifold assembly Im pretty sure. So this woul work the same way on an 06.

anyone else (2 people puts us 4.00 short of the minimum)? :D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just wasn't sure how the wiring would work for it with the different TCM and ECM. If you don't think it would be any different, I'll take your word for it. You know more about it than me.

psyco66

Apr 14, 2008
San Mateo, CA
Where is the sencor going to go to get the temp of the oil. Would I have to drill a hole in the pan to get the temp? Let me kwo I might be interested. I was thinking get the stock alli sencor also.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the thermistor in teh allison is integral to the PSM (pressure switch manifold) as far as I know. I dont know how you would "repackage" it to work as an engine oil temp sensor, or how you would install it into one of the oil ports on the engine...

Brayden or mike would know better than me on this,

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
the thermistor in teh allison is integral to the PSM (pressure switch manifold) as far as I know. I dont know how you would "repackage" it to work as an engine oil temp sensor, or how you would install it into one of the oil ports on the engine...

Brayden or mike would know better than me on this,
Yep, I think it would be dang near impossible to make it usable for the application at hand.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Where is the sencor going to go to get the temp of the oil. Would I have to drill a hole in the pan to get the temp? Let me kwo I might be interested. I was thinking get the stock alli sencor also.

Side of the block has about 4 ports 14x1.5mm IIRC
I would think you could use that

I tapped my oil pan before re-install,Trying to think ahead

Another possible option would be use the factory drain plug?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
IMO, using the oil drain plug hole is the simplest and should give you an indication of the highest oil temps.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Since the dash gauge is not direct wired to the Tranny sensor, I am not sure how you would use it. The "signal" that drives that gauge is a data stream from the TCM. If you some how reroute the sensor wires from the tranny sensor to the Pan Sensor, you are going to be giving the TCM fits about a hot tranny fluid signal.

Most, if not all the indications on the console are passed through the console computer first. None of the gauges are direct read IIRC.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does anyone know what the normal oil temperature in a Duramax is?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
You typically don't want your oil to go over 280* or lower than ~180* for best performance. At least that is what the oil companies specs say. I've measured higher temps, as high as 350* in the pan. Normal? Who knows.

One observation was that the oil temp was a great indicator of how hard you were working the motor.