Help...duramax forum was no help...

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
hey guys. i am brand new to this forum and don't know where to even post my problem. i have got no help on duramax forum and a friend suggested this forum. so i hope you guys can help. my truck is an 01 lb7. 74k on it. original injectors. past couple days i've been noticing a rattle at idle and to 1000 rpms. today it got way louder. but it only rattles from idle to about 1000rpms then it goes away completely. no diesel in oil. no smoke from exhaust. no check engine light. no loss of power. idle seems a bit rougher though. from my reading so far sounds like it could be the pilot injection. any thoughts? please help...

islandgirl62

On the road again......
May 22, 2011
Live in a 5th Wheel Full-time!
Check the idler pulleys. Have someone rev the truck while you watch the pulleys. Does it have to be in gear to hear the rattle? I would think if it were pilot injection you'd see some smoke from the exhaust.
Not sure.....but maybe a place to start.
And from my own experience, I posted a really weird problem here and got an answer which totally fixed the problem. So hang in there....I'm betting someone will have an answer for you if it isn't the idler pulley.

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
no it doesn't have to be in gear. it starts rattling right when i start it up. and the rattle is louder than my motor and straight piped exhaust. it clearly sounds like it is coming from inside the motor. If it were a gas motor i would think i had a real bad header gasket leak. but like i said it goes away after 1000rpms.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Theres a guy on here his name is ha26 and he posted a video that kind of sounds like what you talking about and he included a video of the sounds from youtube and i have no idea on how to search for it if its the same sound i have the problem also

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
So u waited I whopping 2hrs before coming on here to bad mouth another forum that has been pretty helpful to u. Nice:thumb:
Sorry. my intention was not offend anyone.:) a friend said i might get more attention on this forum by wording my title that way. He said that the guys over here really know their stuff and generally aren't fans of duramax forum. I've just got a broke down truck i need for work and i need help fast. Sorry if you were offended:)

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
I don't get offended, it's the internet after all. The guys over here def know their stuff. Alot of good dudes on here r on DF also. It's funny how certain questions can b answered on different forums.

battlegraduate09

Gearhead
Mar 18, 2010
Greg, Jeramiah...haha fellow DFer
<<<

anyway, to the OP, is it a rattle or does it sound something like crickets having an orgy around your firewall?
Yes that is a legitimate question, mine was doing it a while ago but only at idle. I have yet to find the source but i used some belt conditioner and checked the serpentine belt.

dmaxx01

May 28, 2011
parkland florida
Greg, Jeramiah...haha fellow DFer
<<<

anyway, to the OP, is it a rattle or does it sound something like crickets having an orgy around your firewall?
Yes that is a legitimate question, mine was doing it a while ago but only at idle. I have yet to find the source but i used some belt conditioner and checked the serpentine belt.
....maybe if they're 150lb crickets.....more like a loud clack or cackle sound that speeds up with rpms...then goes away a 1000rpms. the sound is lounder than the trucks exhaust which is straight piped and the motor itself is drowned out by this new developing sound.

THEREDDEVIL

A Bad seed
Jul 28, 2010
Godfrey, il
Yo yo yo. My only guess on this prob would b timing or injectors. We have the same tuner and I don't have any timing knock. Have someone run the balance rates on the injectors just to rule them out.