head gasket cost

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I would pull the motor and trans right out.... I did it in the truck and it was a pain.

Parts for me were around 2000, including ARP headstuds. But thats cause Canadians get raped on parts prices... I guess all prices really.

Plus then I through on a new turbo. Grand total was about 7-8g for me.

The dealership wanted over 4500 to do it. Another reputable diesel perf shop wanted about 3000-3500. For labor only, I was supplying the parts.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
can you pull the motor and trans @ the same time? or do you have to split them? I am really contemplating doing it myself but I will be doing it in my driveway and im not sure which is the best way to go about it....

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
can you pull the motor and trans @ the same time? or do you have to split them? I am really contemplating doing it myself but I will be doing it in my driveway and im not sure which is the best way to go about it....

I think some people have,But that is a lot of wieght......I would hate to see that fall

With the motor out it would be easy.....its just time consuming:)

All the info is here and you could by the parts from Henry

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I never weighed it, but supposedly less than 1k fully dressed.

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I say pull the trans because there is like 8 bolts holding the ting to the cross member versus having the hassle of taking the starter off to undo all the TC bolts and trying to get all the bell housing bolts...

The whole point is to avoid having to fist all the small spaces in and around your motor.

A couple mounts and the trans and motor is loose. It definetly is a lot of weight. We bent an engine crane taking my LB7, trans and transfer case off the back of a truck. But it can be done, just need a bit more HD unit.

With an engine on a stand in the garage, the headgaskets could be done in 4 hours. I'd even venture to say that if you had two guys that knew what they were doing, you could have the motor out, headgaskets changed and back in all in one day. Thats a stretch though.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I say pull the trans because there is like 8 bolts holding the ting to the cross member versus having the hassle of taking the starter off to undo all the TC bolts and trying to get all the bell housing bolts...

The whole point is to avoid having to fist all the small spaces in and around your motor.

A couple mounts and the trans and motor is loose. It definetly is a lot of weight. We bent an engine crane taking my LB7, trans and transfer case off the back of a truck. But it can be done, just need a bit more HD unit.

With an engine on a stand in the garage, the headgaskets could be done in 4 hours. I'd even venture to say that if you had two guys that knew what they were doing, you could have the motor out, headgaskets changed and back in all in one day. Thats a stretch though.

Easier leaving the trans in the truck.Why fight pulling it all out when your going to get it on the ground to unbolt it to hang it on the stand anyways.

Dzlnut

Feb 27, 2008
Homedale Idaho
I wish timing was a little better, we could rally a few of us together and get ya going. Right now my schedule is packed for 2.5 months...so much for summer.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Guy can sell you head gaskets too. I was having trouble getting them from GM.