head gasket cost

speedmetal6.6

Dodge Destroyer
Nov 3, 2008
Gillette,Wyoming
How many miles do you have on it? I dont know about lb7's but they should have a 100k warranty on the engine. My 06 was in for 2.5 months because the gaskets were on back order it was about 50hrs in labor because they pulled the motor and sent the heads off to get respeced or whatever I would have paid roughly 6k without warranty . It only cost me about 150.00, I think they had to get that in depth for warranty reasons but i have all new top end gaskets any way @52k on truck. P.S. some diesel techs I know say it is best to pull the motor and some say you have to. I dont know best of luck man:D

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
its got 105K, but (I know this is a really bad thing to do but....) if I was to buy a gauge cluster with under 100K on the odometer would I be able to get it covered under warranty? The reason I even consider saying that is because I know exactly when it happened and at the exact moment I was towing a 12,000lb trailer and the truck was 100% stock. It was right after I had the VB replaced last summer and I was on my way camping and was trying to be nice to the truck. I had just crested a hill, 7%, 5 mile grade and as I was getting off at the rest stop the Low Coolant light came on and I smelled coolant, when I stopped I saw the inner fender covered in coolant and thats when all this chit began....

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I believe the warranty runs out at 7 years also, so you may be out of luck anyway.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
ahhh chit your right, my dad bought the truck new before i got it but i dont remember the date of purchase anyway to find out?

Last edited:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
Just started the process on our buddy's 03 tonight. Got the core support off and ran out of time getting the motor ready to pull. figured it'd be easier on a stand versus in the truck.

$3500-4000 seems to be the going rate.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
its got 105K, but (I know this is a really bad thing to do but....) if I was to buy a gauge cluster with under 100K on the odometer would I be able to get it covered under warranty? The reason I even consider saying that is because I know exactly when it happened and at the exact moment I was towing a 12,000lb trailer and the truck was 100% stock. It was right after I had the VB replaced last summer and I was on my way camping and was trying to be nice to the truck. I had just crested a hill, 7%, 5 mile grade and as I was getting off at the rest stop the Low Coolant light came on and I smelled coolant, when I stopped I saw the inner fender covered in coolant and thats when all this chit began....

I would think alot before doing this.If your caught its a fraud charger and no pass go straight to jail. The tech will see the true miles on the truck with the tech 2.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
I figured they would have another way to see it, I am just at a loss as to how I am gonna pay for this as the trans all but broke me.... plus kid # 2 is due in Nov. and I only have a couple more months of decent comm. checks. Is there any chance a dealer would help me out seeing as how i am only like 5,000 miles over the 100k???

KEVINL

Jul 4, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The engine warranty is only 5 years.

I do not think you have a snowballs chance in hell in getting it warranteed

You can hardly get The LB7 injectors warantied anymore

Last edited:

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
Drove to work this morning real nice and easy the coolant never puked out, opened the hood and gave the rad hose on the D/S a squeeze.... Hard as concrete! Is it official now?

Max Power

Mar 16, 2007
Manitoba
Drove to work this morning real nice and easy the coolant never puked out, opened the hood and gave the rad hose on the D/S a squeeze.... Hard as concrete! Is it official now?

Ya it's official.

I would try to find someone who is a good mechanic and is willing to do it on the side. $5400 is just out of this world. I have about $1700 Canadian into mine and I paid too much for the parts.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
my dealer says its usually about $5000 for them to do it.

I believe GM gives you 36 hours on the LB7.

Personally I pull the motor. I go one step further and drop the trans too vs supporting it so that i can pull my truck in the shop after work, gut the driveline, and roll it out of the shop to keep the lift open.

It takes 4-5 hours on average to get the LB7 out. You can do it quicker if you really want to. Its really easy to get out and your body will thank you in the end for doing it that way.

WSUcowboy

500 club baby!!
Aug 7, 2006
Spokane, WA
ya it sounds like it might..........

I did just get an offer from my Mom to buy me a $500 junker to drive while it is apart, which would be really nice I just need to decide if I want to try and tackle this thing or not...