Fun car for street strip road race toy??

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
Get a CTS-V... Sick cars... Blast to race and also just cruise. Fast LS powered sedan with a manual transmission... Good times!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Note: The post included Road Race.

There aren't a lot of sub $25k cars that can touch a C5 Manual. But they are still good at the dragstrip and a blast to haul ass in.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
We have seen a few lemans edition z06 cars here in our area gonna go look at one next Friday.

66k miles $17k seems pretty cheap never been modded sweet little car for sure.

Years ago I think 2001 or so me and dad went by Berger Chevy in Grand Rapids michigan and they had some ss camaros, 575 hp on the hood sold as is new dads with no warranties dad has been kickin himself since for not buying one of them. Would love to find one for him but they have shot up in rice here in the last couple years.

Typhoons and suck ones are badass little trucks, dad I think wouldn't go for it he'll he's 64 yrs old and had trucks for the last 25 years he is ready for a dart car again.

Ctsv are sweet but the first gen isn't for me the new body is sooo much nicer would live a 2 door v but $$$$$ waaaay to much what about the stsv?

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Note: The post included Road Race.

There aren't a lot of sub $25k cars that can touch a C5 Manual. But they are still good at the dragstrip and a blast to haul ass in.

Looks like it's the best option as of right now, we are not in a hurry seeing as it's cold as shit here for the next 3-4 months, I have shown him blue meanie and he is absolutely in love with the c5 cars I also like the c4 zr1 and any c6 manual would be first choice but a paddle shifted manual would work also dad has a lot of lost feeling in his clutch leg so it may be hard for him

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
The first gen ones have weak rear ends an wheel hop some. I think they fixed the rear end in 07.

X2 the rear ends got upgraded, and I believe they upgraded to the 6.0 LS2...

Hell, pick up a old single cab with a 5.3 and turbo it... There are several YouTube videos with 5.3s running 10s, and stock blocks with over 150k miles. Haha. Turbo trucks FTW... All for under 20k total

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
X2 the rear ends got upgraded, and I believe they upgraded to the 6.0 LS2...

Hell, pick up a old single cab with a 5.3 and turbo it... There are several YouTube videos with 5.3s running 10s, and stock blocks with over 150k miles. Haha. Turbo trucks FTW... All for under 20k total

We have a little reg cab 4.8 and a 5 spd and it was slot of fun with the ls3 parts we ran but it's back to stock the light ass end was a little hairy after 1/4 throttle

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
We have a little reg cab 4.8 and a 5 spd and it was slot of fun with the ls3 parts we ran but it's back to stock the light ass end was a little hairy after 1/4 throttle

I'm surprised that tranny held up to much abuse. Every one I've seen is losing synchros when beat on and shifted fast. Even at stock power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
I'm surprised that tranny held up to much abuse. Every one I've seen is losing synchros when beat on and shifted fast. Even at stock power

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've heard the 4.8 is a tough motor... Those 5 speeds don't usually last too long... A T56 6 speed swap would be fun in a truck... Traction does sound like it could be tricky in a truck launching off a clutch

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Lol what are synchros? They've been gone for years she did eat 2 clutches a throw out and a 10 bolt blew the ring gear and snapped an axle. It was fun but it sits up high and is used to pull small trailers so it's needed for field use still.

One plus of it being a car my pops and I will never be tempted to hook the boat to it or the skid steer or the tractor or go out to the field. Every nice new truck we get ends up getting worked and then scratches and dents show up...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Note:

The 2002 Z06 weighed 3080 lbs with a 1/2 tank when it was new.

The weight balance on the scale was 51%/49% front to rear.

Bone stock, it would run high 11's with traction, and get 29 mpg hwy as well as pulling 1.01 g on the OEM tires at the factory camber.

The newer ones are better, but the first crop of LSx C5 manual cars were beasts.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks for the specs pat I never knew the c5 was such a beast out of the box. Wonder what a standard z51 equipped c5 would do. Z06 are a little harder to come by around here for sure

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
And once you get a vette, you can then use it for parts to make a factory5 GTM. :D

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
So what about mileage wise? Where do you all think the magic number is on an ks car c5 most likely so ls1 or hopefully and ls6 las engines in the trucks are tuff as nails and I wouldn't worry about 125k but a car that is built to be beat on May be a different story?

C5 wise how do the hold up? Interiors stay decent? I have driven a few and really like the seating position and the support the seats gave me. Dad didn't like the seats claims he flopped around in them too much. I'm a bigger fella than him so a wide seat is much better for me, but dad has gotten considerably smaller in the last few years.

But c5 seems to be the way to go, I personally like the f body cars but I know they are heavy any other draw backs

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
its all in what you want to do...I own a c5 and it gets pricy on mods too.. El camino would be great for street strip... its registered truck but yet its a car... so you could race in truck and van class

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Fbods will have rattles to no end, you have a live rear axle, and an engine half way under the cowl.

But, for straight line performance, the Fbod is a better starting platform IMO.

Edit: And there is no vette tax on parts. ;)

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If you exclude Road Racing, the Fbody is the best.

However, I raced a 2000 SS Camaro that was "McRat Stock" against C5's.

Yeah, I could ass-rape them at the drag strip.

But I could never get within 2 seconds of them in the twisties.