Fun car for street strip road race toy??

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Well me and pops have decided it's time for a toy for road use. The duece isn't the easiest to drive around and the boat isn't seeing as much use as it once did with my dad getting older health issue have slowed him down.

We have been watching mecum auctions and it's pretty amazing what you can get for sub 30- 40k which is where we want to be. Issue is we don't know what we should do. I am a gm guy through and through but he has had some nasty road runners in the past as well as a couple Shelby gt350.

We are just looking for options on what a good affordable fun toy would be I pick up? He loves vettes and I do also 1998-2002 camaros are Awsome, newer gto really anything wih an LS.

But what about older cars camaro, Chevelle, old vettes c3-c6 we want reliability and easy maintance with good performance. Any input would be great thanks

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
For good all around performance it is hard to beat the LS1 Camaro/Firebird. They are pretty cheap now. I have seen some very nice ones for under $10K. Leaves a lot of cash for modifications.

Slightly lighter & better handling would be the C5 Vette. You can pick up a Z06 pretty cheap also & starting with 405HP they run pretty good.

The GTO is nice buy way heavier... bigger back seat but 3900lb is heavy for a performance car.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I'd say ls car. The vettes would be a great car. Ls1 or ls2 would be a bit easier on the wallet!

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I do love ls cars our little 4.8 was slot of fun when it was modded a bit but it's back to stock now and not near as fun.

Ford has nothing other than the mod motors which I hate. an old 5.0 fox body would be fun and cheap but I don't feel they have the dollar per horse power like the ls does.

Dad won't touch anything with hemi on it, his road runners were 440 one a six pack and one a cross ram like a 413. Wish he still had those dads would be worth big money

Numbers matching doesn't matter to us and I really like resto rods and g-machines but I'm unsure what we would spend on a nice

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I built this recently. Lighter than a 4th gen, plus excellent handling.
Has a 2011 Camaro LS3 & T-56 in it.

IM000592.JPG

IMG_000999.JPG

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
I had a 02 trans am ws6 and with the 408 and some suspension it dynoed 558hp and ran solid 11.4-11.7 1/4 miles on street tires but the c5 corvette is becoming very affordable but the next car I'm buying is a c6 z06

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Vette prices are def coming down to the point where getting an LS1 fbod is not worth it at all.

I have a old LT1 car that I mess with cause gas mods are cheaper and easier than diesel stuff

Jonesin33

Aug 26, 2011
TX
Not a car but still a nice two seater that won't loose money.

51580107.jpg

Love the Syclones. Came up next to one at a red light in my old Hemi Ram... We both inched forward a couple times, locked in that we were going on green... (this was before I knew anything about them) On green we launched, that truck was gone. Haha. AWD boosted launches in an S10... Yeah, pretty sick!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: