Do a good deed with your computer.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Not sure whats going on here....I have a client running on 3 systems noe (CPU sys tray) and now my PPD combined have dropped to what I was doing with 1 machine:confused:

Seems like it runs a lot slower on all 3 machines now too??

Same username.

I changed the machine IDs on all 3 even though thats for clients on same machine and it didnt help

EDIT: im looking now and it seems maybe the PPD are the same, however, the WU time has slowed, and im taking almost twice to three time to complete a WU. That means with 1 machine I could do 1 WU overnight, abut with 3 machines, it takes almost 3 days to complete 1 WU each which equals 1 WU per day??? Does that make sense??

Im also going to try to run one on Linux thru virtually and see what that does...lol

Last edited:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
WU recently are really strange right now. I have a machine with 3 video cards that are pretty much the same. 2 are just clocked a little slower. Those 2 (820mhz) are now doing about 3k PPD the 3rd one (920mhz) is 9K. A week ago the 2 slow ones were just short of 9k.

Chevmeister

Big Dooley
Dec 3, 2010
Garnet Valley, Pa
mmlmm depending on what WU you get your machine may take longer. My quad cores usually get 2000 step WU and my old dell get 250 or 500. My quad cores get more ppd but the dell get the most WU count. If i get small WU on my quad cores I rip out one or 2 a day, but the ppd doesnt change. By the looks of your stats you were getting the smaller WUs and are now getting bigger ones.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I've been runnin a 2000 WU now for 3 days my laptop had a virus 2 days ago a kept restarting, I got her all cleaned up now so she is runnin good now.

How long is it taking you fellas to knock a 2000 step?

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
All I seem to be getting with my gtx 460 computer is the 6800 wu's and it seems to take about 2 hours and 35 minutes from the start of one unit to the start of the next.

My laptop is a joke, I get lucky to finish one 6701 wu on time and if I do, the ppd are around 400 or 500 at best. Most times I just miss the deadline. Oh well, on a side note, these f@H machines are a have a great effect on my electric bill, the lowest in years this month. Lower by a 100 bucks so far for the year. :rofl:

Last edited:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
I just got my 2 GPUs back up on PPD, this might help anyone with NVIDIA cards. I shut down all folding on the machine and set the clients so they could not start on a reboot. Un-installed the NVIDIA drivers, rebooted, re-installed the driver, rebooted and started the clients. Have to see if it maintains the current speed or not but its a start.

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
I decided to try the cpu wu's and knowing my computers on hand do a terrible job with time to complete ( just stopped using them ), mostly just getting it or missing it, so I....

I thought I'd try an older server with 2 of the AMD Opteron 2352 HE quad core at 2.1ghz, 16gb ram and a few other trimmings. Linux looks to do the best work at 1gig ram per core I think, and Windows with .5gig ram per core. Should have more than enough.

What I do know is, I don't have much of a clue as to what to expect or how to configure for optimal performance or how it my possibly benefit the team. I doubt it will give a ppd of even one of your top single GPU machines.

My thoughts are to run it smp? maybe 15 threads. Looks like it might have a tpf ranking high enough to run a better ppd with Linux. I do have windows server 2003 I can throw on there but, if this one works out I can build another for less than the cost of building another GPU machine. Linux Redhat or SuSE would surely be better cost wise to manage than windows. I was thinking If I did buy another 2x quad core server to match this one, I'd stick the set out in the garage and forget about them, other than to keep them running, in the a/c'd closet. :D

Anyway, this may be a total flop but heck, we'll see.

Anyone have suggestions? I know Pat must have been doing some research on different properties for computers. Looks like he even bought presents with this in mind. :angel:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
The 6701/6702 SMP's are bears. Even an i7 notebook takes over 24 hours to finish one. A dual core notebook is probably going to take over 2 days.

Even worse Pat.

dual core notebook at 1.8ghz 4 gig ram and setting on it's own mostly. I give after this WU. Looks like this one may make the deadline.

Attachments

• terrible.jpg
    terrible.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 10

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
my other laptop an hp with a amd sempron si40 SUCKS at folding its been on a 2000 step wu FOREVER:mad: it has some nvidia graphics card dont know if i could run a wu with that. my ps3 is pretty quick but i rarely turn it on.... i have all three of my folding machines on rite now and my OLD dell laptop with the 2.o ghz duo procc... is fairly quick knocks out a 2000 step wu in about a day.
is there anything i can do to my hp laptop to make it better at folding ?

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Mike - the dual quad core might fold pretty well. I would a Linux OS first before Windows. Cheaper and normally more stable. Be interesting to see what you get out of it. Only run 1 smp client on it. It will automatically use all 8 cores. Try it without the -big switch first and if it seems to handle that try with the -big switch and see what it does.

Tea - I'm not sure there is much you can do for the laptop. Possibly add some memory might help a little bit but I wouldn't plan on a big change from it. Unfortunately sometimes our machines are what they are. I use a Dell 800 laptop at home for general use stuff but I think it would puke its processor if I tried to fold with it. :rofl:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Mike - the dual quad core might fold pretty well. I would a Linux OS first before Windows. Cheaper and normally more stable. Be interesting to see what you get out of it. Only run 1 smp client on it. It will automatically use all 8 cores. Try it without the -big switch first and if it seems to handle that try with the -big switch and see what it does.

Tea - I'm not sure there is much you can do for the laptop. Possibly add some memory might help a little bit but I wouldn't plan on a big change from it. Unfortunately sometimes our machines are what they are. I use a Dell 800 laptop at home for general use stuff but I think it would puke its processor if I tried to fold with it. :rofl:

Thanks Rob. When you say one smp client, are you saying one WU? I am under the impression I have to set the number of threads or use a client which sets the total of cores to one WU as a single job. Am I confused again? :angel:

Poltergeist

Ghost in the Machine
Aug 1, 2006
Ontario, Calif.
www.poltergeist.us
Thanks Rob. When you say one smp client, are you saying one WU? I am under the impression I have to set the number of threads or use a client which sets the total of cores to one WU as a single job. Am I confused again? :angel:

If you load an SMP client from the High Performance area http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther (at the bottom SMP2) it will run 1 WU at a time but will use all cores that are available to it. Which should be 8 cores from the description of the box you have.

I've seen on other boards where people thought they could run multiple SMP clients on boxes that had 24 or 48 cores. Seems the best way is 1 SMP client and let it have the whole box to run the WUs on.