Dmitri is out for good??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Aaand this is why I don't have a Facebook. Lol, I figure its his business to do what he wants with his life. I would be disappointed if he walked away just because he has done alot for the sport. He pushed his trucks far past what most would. He has helped give duramax a name in the diesel world. Find me 100 people that dump 30 grand into their motor every year.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Ill find you 100 people who have dumped plenty of money into their own trucks that aren't as recognized.

Their own money, I should add.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Ill find you 100 people who have dumped plenty of money into their own trucks that aren't as recognized.

Their own money, I should add.

x2, plenty of people do it without needing the glory or drama.

Its like reality TV, D was more juicy to follow and thats why he has the publicity and when things crash, it sells it better. For the average joes out there just simply building a strong truck and competing consistently while making unique changes, its more about doing a good job. Most don't get recognized because the masses could care less about how that person made the power, they just want to be able to go to the local bar/event/forum/social media site and brag about how the Duramax made X power and the Cummins guys just blow smoke and Ford guys just blow heads blah blah.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Most of us scrape together funds to move our projects forward a little at a time. But sacrificing your (or your family's) financial future over a stupid hobby like this, or simply for adulation and attention, is just insane.

If for nothing else, let what's been discussed in this thread serve as a cautionary tale for everyone to understand what NOT to do. Diesel trucks just arent worth it.

Forever

This 1 time, at band camp
Jan 4, 2009
Utah
Bullshit/Drama is only there if you allow it. That being said, Dmitri has always been nice to me when we have spoke. I stay out of the drama.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Most of us scrape together funds to move our projects forward a little at a time. But sacrificing your (or your family's) financial future over a stupid hobby like this, or simply for adulation and attention, is just insane.

If for nothing else, let what's been discussed in this thread serve as a cautionary tale for everyone to understand what NOT to do. Diesel trucks just arent worth it.

Oftentimes in thought my better judgement/conscience has told me this is an unwise use of money. Part of pushing past my logical thought is selfishness, part of it has been a need to "keep up", and part of it is simply wanting to have fun with my hard earned money. In any case your thoughts/warnings are good for new guys to hear and I agree with what you said.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I think it comes to a point when you have no money in savings and still have to pay cars off and rely on friends and family that you've crossed the line. It would be a different story if he was doing this with his own money, or took a break for a year and saved that money for an emergency. But to him his "emergency" is when one of his trucks cracks a piston lol

DieselmafiaLLY

Keep Calm and Go Crazy
Apr 6, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think it comes to a point when you have no money in savings and still have to pay cars off and rely on friends and family that you've crossed the line. It would be a different story if he was doing this with his own money, or took a break for a year and saved that money for an emergency. But to him his "emergency" is when one of his trucks cracks a piston lol

thats bc he only had "rods" in his engine:dancenana:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood

x2 Tom, many have been there at one point mostly when young. When I was first trying to keep up I had a breif spell where I was dumb about it too, had nothing else to pay for but still got in to deep, but not to the point I couldn't bail myself out. It was mostly, well this part is needed for this part to work best, while your in there do this..... I will never miss those feelings of not being able to pay for some things, not wanting to answer the phone etc. It was only for a month, but it sucked. Shortly after I just quit. I don't really have any more "extra" money now than I did then but at least I have a lot to show for it (house, vehicles I can actually drive, fiance, tools, other hobbies).

Sure I miss it a lot and feel there is nothing wrong with doing it, just don't resort to poor financial decisions to get by. Its just my opinion, but credit cards, short term high interest loans or even worse pay day or auto title loans are not a good investment ever. These all carry extremely high interest rates, if you have nothing and need to get by they may be your only option, but for a luxury like truck parts, not wise.

Note: Credit Cards are a tool, I do not mean you should not use them. I sign up for a new 0% intro credit card often, however I use them as a tool to help extend my funds for the free period, then pay it off when the period is up. As long as you do not carry a balance on them they can be a great tool, do not use them as money you do not have and you will not get into trouble with them.

There seems to be a fine line between the old school penny pinchers who want to do everything in cash and the younger generation who spends outside their means on credit. Too many people cannot figure out there is a happy medium it just involves effort, you have to use credit to your advantage.

I remember always wanting to be able to have the nice pulling tractor and hauler someday, but there more you look around and pay attention to the sport, the more you see that very few people do it without major consequences. Many have large loans borrowed against everything they own to support the hobby, their personal farm/business suffers drastically due to the time and money commitment of the sport, then there are plenty of repos, forclosures, bankruptcys etc etc that surface every year. Pulling is not a sport for those without money, it has very little sponsor money available, prize money barely gets you to the event and it is severly expensive to keep a tractor/truck running on top.

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida
x2 Tom, many have been there at one point mostly when young. When I was first trying to keep up I had a breif spell where I was dumb about it too, had nothing else to pay for but still got in to deep, but not to the point I couldn't bail myself out. It was mostly, well this part is needed for this part to work best, while your in there do this..... I will never miss those feelings of not being able to pay for some things, not wanting to answer the phone etc. It was only for a month, but it sucked. Shortly after I just quit. I don't really have any more "extra" money now than I did then but at least I have a lot to show for it (house, vehicles I can actually drive, fiance, tools, other hobbies).

Sure I miss it a lot and feel there is nothing wrong with doing it, just don't resort to poor financial decisions to get by. Its just my opinion, but credit cards, short term high interest loans or even worse pay day or auto title loans are not a good investment ever. These all carry extremely high interest rates, if you have nothing and need to get by they may be your only option, but for a luxury like truck parts, not wise.

Note: Credit Cards are a tool, I do not mean you should not use them. I sign up for a new 0% intro credit card often, however I use them as a tool to help extend my funds for the free period, then pay it off when the period is up. As long as you do not carry a balance on them they can be a great tool, do not use them as money you do not have and you will not get into trouble with them.

There seems to be a fine line between the old school penny pinchers who want to do everything in cash and the younger generation who spends outside their means on credit. Too many people cannot figure out there is a happy medium it just involves effort, you have to use credit to your advantage.

I remember always wanting to be able to have the nice pulling tractor and hauler someday, but there more you look around and pay attention to the sport, the more you see that very few people do it without major consequences. Many have large loans borrowed against everything they own to support the hobby, their personal farm/business suffers drastically due to the time and money commitment of the sport, then there are plenty of repos, forclosures, bankruptcys etc etc that surface every year. Pulling is not a sport for those without money, it has very little sponsor money available, prize money barely gets you to the event and it is severly expensive to keep a tractor/truck running on top.
Very well put sir! :thumb:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I was going to pass on this but the contribution to the sport comment made me change my mind. Will someone please explain to me what his big contributions were? Sure as hell not tuning, he managed to download every tune out of every truck and keep it that he ever worked on that wasn't locked. His ability to build an engine and make it last? That for sure is not it, he has blown up more engine parts than about anyone in the sport. He gets a lot out of an Allison. Yes for a pass or two, how long has he every made on last on a big hp motor? His dyno numbers are just that, a number, he has figured now how to make his truck make a bigger split second number than most other guys using the gas. It doesn't cross over to the track. His red truck made into the 9's once in Edmonton and barely. His prostreet truck is set up great, great attention to detail but it has never performed even close to what it should have. I've seen him twice this year at NHRDA races. Edmonton, blew up less then 100 feet from the line during round one of the 11.90 class because he wasn't allowed to enter anything faster due to lack of a roll bar in the shop truck they like to call a dually.
Woodburn, blew up the engine at the Friday nite street legals day before the event. Lost all compression. That after personally getting in touch with Jarid Vollmer on telling him how get it was to great a common rail into the 8's and he hoped to line up against Jarid in the finals at Woodburn then go on facebook (which is the only place he will post anymore and he had for fix for Jarid and Bully Dog talking trash and being what he is 99% of the time, a total dick.

He has buddied up so many people in our sport then thrown them under the bus I have lost count. It looks like Wade is his latest one.

Look at the people who worship him and follow him around like he's the pied piper. All very young, very impressionable and either have a diesel truck with a tuner and a big exhaust tip or no truck at all. He loves standing in front of them and pontificating on his accomplishments.

In my estimation he has hurt the Dmax image, wished he like Power Strokes, they need "god like figure" to follow.

I have heard this same line so many times from him it sounds like a broken record. As soon as he can find someone foot the bill he'll be back.

There are some great pioneers in the dmax/allison world and most have been named in this thread, there are some that have not been mentioned as well, SoCal Diesel, TTS, SunCoast, ProFab, G&J diesel, and many others. Shit stick couldn't be a shop boy to any of them.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
I was going to pass on this but the contribution to the sport comment made me change my mind. Will someone please explain to me what his big contributions were? Sure as hell not tuning, he managed to download every tune out of every truck and keep it that he ever worked on that wasn't locked. His ability to build an engine and make it last? That for sure is not it, he has blown up more engine parts than about anyone in the sport. He gets a lot out of an Allison. Yes for a pass or two, how long has he every made on last on a big hp motor? His dyno numbers are just that, a number, he has figured now how to make his truck make a bigger split second number than most other guys using the gas. It doesn't cross over to the track. His red truck made into the 9's once in Edmonton and barely. His prostreet truck is set up great, great attention to detail but it has never performed even close to what it should have. I've seen him twice this year at NHRDA races. Edmonton, blew up less then 100 feet from the line during round one of the 11.90 class because he wasn't allowed to enter anything faster due to lack of a roll bar in the shop truck they like to call a dually.
Woodburn, blew up the engine at the Friday nite street legals day before the event. Lost all compression. That after personally getting in touch with Jarid Vollmer on telling him how get it was to great a common rail into the 8's and he hoped to line up against Jarid in the finals at Woodburn then go on facebook (which is the only place he will post anymore and he had for fix for Jarid and Bully Dog talking trash and being what he is 99% of the time, a total dick.

He has buddied up so many people in our sport then thrown them under the bus I have lost count. It looks like Wade is his latest one.

Look at the people who worship him and follow him around like he's the pied piper. All very young, very impressionable and either have a diesel truck with a tuner and a big exhaust tip or no truck at all. He loves standing in front of them and pontificating on his accomplishments.

In my estimation he has hurt the Dmax image, wished he like Power Strokes, they need "god like figure" to follow.

I have heard this same line so many times from him it sounds like a broken record. As soon as he can find someone foot the bill he'll be back.

There are some great pioneers in the dmax/allison world and most have been named in this thread, there are some that have not been mentioned as well, SoCal Diesel, TTS, SunCoast, ProFab, G&J diesel, and many others. Shit stick couldn't be a shop boy to any of them.

Well I don't have to ask rob how your doing I guess. Still alive, old but alive none the less and kicking I see LOL.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

I have to agree with you Ken. Any person with this much drama and negative attention can not be good for the sport. I do not wish any bad karma on D and do not know him other than meeting and talking to him briefly in Bradenton when he first got Overkill out. I surely was hoping that he got that truck into the 8's. I guess that was wishful thinking there. There are too many people to mention that have been worthy contributors to the DMax community. A high number of those guys are low profile kind of people as well. It all boils down to respect in the end.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

I am the example of this. My truck has been down for almost a year and I even had to drive a Ford for awhile to keep working.
If you can't afford it, time to pull back the reigns and regroup then hit it again when you can. Simple.

Bigdirtylbz07

Feb 3, 2011
Northeast indiana
I am the example of this. My truck has been down for almost a year and I even had to drive a Ford for awhile to keep working.
If you can't afford it, time to pull back the reigns and regroup then hit it again when you can. Simple.

I am gonna have to join you on this one as my truck has been broke down for over a year as well and also an lbz..it takes a long time to save up for a motor build when your just some normal guy with a passion. I always wondered how he posted so much crap of new motors, parts and all kinds of stuff and I get it now. Tough break literally lol

chrisd91

Jan 27, 2012
Washington State
I am gonna have to join you on this one as my truck has been broke down for over a year as well and also an lbz..it takes a long time to save up for a motor build when your just some normal guy with a passion. I always wondered how he posted so much crap of new motors, parts and all kinds of stuff and I get it now. Tough break literally lol

What I don't understand is why so many trucks? It's easy to spread yourself thin with 1 truck, let alone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.