Coolant loss -- headgaskets or EGR cooler?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Maybe we need to start a new section for the "I'll keep my truck stock, then trade it in 2 weeks before the warranty is up" guys :roflmao:

At least when a head gasket starts to go, I can limp it home :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Tom, you should have just left this in the "what did you do on your dmax today" thread :roflmao: :D

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Maybe we need to start a new section for the "I'll keep my truck stock, then trade it in 2 weeks before the warranty is up" guys :roflmao:

Limp home? I took mine on a 3k mile trip pulling 10k. Detuned it to a little tow tune for my way up there. The last 800 miles home right back to 500hp which where it will stay until I can get to the HG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Limp home? I took mine on a 3k mile trip pulling 10k. Detuned it to a little tow tune for my way up there. The last 800 miles home right back to 500hp which where it will stay until I can get to the HG

Sounds like a best case scenario

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Isnt that what our forum has turned into the past few years anyway? :roflmao:

Tom, you should have just left this in the "what did you do on your dmax today" thread :roflmao: :D

I figured it was a legit question that needed its own thread. Didnt know a shitshow would start b/c of it. Oh well. :roflmao:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Exactly. I drive a 2005 twin turbo LLY every day. Rain or shine, hot or cold, whatever. 156K miles and still on original engine and head gaskets. No warranty for a while now..... lol.

I wouldn’t hesitate to take it across country anytime towing my trailer. Even if the head gaskets started to go I know it would get me home.

Unfortunately I can’t say the same about an LML. I can’t count how many low mile, beautiful LML trucks that have been towed to my shop that wouldn’t even start and idle because of a CP4 pump failure. No thanks!! You can keep your LML hunk of garbage! I refuse to spend that kind of money on something that can ruin a family vacation, an important business trip, etc. And it’s not an easy, or quick fix.

And why is someone bragging about warranty on a Duramax “performance” forum in the first place??

LLYs might be the bastard child of the Duramax lineup, but the LML is the skank that got married into the family because someone got drunk and forgot to “wrap it before he tapped it”.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Your right your 14 year old head gasket blowing, small ass radiator having, coking mouth piece on turbo, ficm chafing, injector eating, ice pick nightmare LLY is leaps and bounds better than my 16 Denali....:spit:

Go drive it across country stock and call me when it boils out the coolant...:roflmao:

Seems only people who get but hurt about LLY are those who decided it was ok to buy one even though the issues are well known. Guess we could call you an osterage bc you stick your had in the sand when hear something you don't like. As for my truck, it would be repaired anywhere for free...:D

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
OK girls.....enough already. Some like the older trucks, some like the newer. We get it. To each his own.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
OK girls.....enough already. Some like the older trucks, some like the newer. We get it. To each his own.

I don't think anyone in here is serious Tom, just bored and yanking each other's chains a little...:hug:

At least that's what I'm doing. Lol. I'll stop...:)

I DD an 8 year old reg cab, soooo, yea, I like older trucks as well.:D

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Your right your 14 year old head gasket blowing, small ass radiator having, coking mouth piece on turbo, ficm chafing, injector eating, ice pick nightmare LLY is leaps and bounds better than my 16 Denali....:spit:

Go drive it across country stock and call me when it boils out the coolant...:roflmao:

Seems only people who get but hurt about LLY are those who decided it was ok to buy one even though the issues are well known. Guess we could call you an osterage bc you stick your had in the sand when hear something you don't like. As for my truck, it would be repaired anywhere for free...:D

Lol

I’m glad I have an LBZ it’s the bestester Dmaxs ever made. Just looks at sale ad they use words like One of a kind, highly sought after, and almost think their trucks are worth more than what they paid for them when they bought them new.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
y'all got the shit trucks. What you really need is a mutt like mine. then you have the absolute best of all the generations with 0 down falls :roflmao: :cool2:

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
y'all got the shit trucks. What you really need is a mutt like mine. then you have the absolute best of all the generations with 0 down falls :roflmao: :cool2:
It's still under warranty with *free* fixes too, isn't it? :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's still under warranty with *free* fixes too, isn't it? :roflmao:

duh. Carter Chevy takes care of her very well. Never a fight to get it done right and the owner takes personal care to ensure my wifes service plan is done........ as well as her truck :roflmao:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

Dammit. Your right. After reading this I was so disgusted with my Lilly I went out and kicked it right in the tailpipe.

This weekend I think I’ll track down the previous owner of it and give him another $40K. Then come home and burn $10K so I can feel like I own an LML that I just had to replace the fuel system on and do a CP3 swap. Then I’ll throw 1,000 lbs of weight in the bed and go drive around to experience the agility of an overweight truck. I could also piss in the underhood fuse box so I can experience random electrical issues to I suppose. I can’t wait!!

All kidding aside though, since Tom asked us nicely to stop. I will say that every generation of Duramax has its strengths, and weaknesses. It’s just that the LML in theory should have had ALL of those weaknesses eliminated with the amount of time GM has spent perfecting that platform. Instead they screwed us all over with the CP4 pump. The LML May only have that one major flaw, but it’s A BIG ONE!

Having said all that, I would own an LML if I had to. (My preference would be an LB7 or LBZ) But I wouldn’t trust an LML that wasn’t deleted, CP3 swapped, and a new TCM for good measure.

Any generation of the Duramax engine is better then any other brand though. I think we can all easily agree on that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I had to stop reading, so it may have been mentioned but, when my head gaskets let go at 40k I didn’t know until 87k, took it in for a pressure test and it passed, I pulled the heads at 90k and they were ****ed, mine was building pressure and puking coolant non stop and it still passed a pressure test.

I’d rather do a head gasket job over pistons any day, so.... I say they all suck until it’s got good pistons in it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^ seriously. kinda waiting for the IHI to die. have to change/fab charge and exhaust piping out to make it work. not a BIG deal but its a "if it aint broke, dont fix it". rather get new paint on the old girl first but thats all pushed the back burner cause i have a seriously BAD itch to get the front end built for my tracker.

it will happen.... unless i sell the truck first :roflmao:. i may save the limo for my daughter or son if they are showing interest in cars/trucks (yes, i have a little boy due in Jan :D:D).