LBZ: Coolant leak after head gasket

fjcruiser

Aug 24, 2016
Okay update, pulled the offending cylinder head. Gasket was pristine, no obvious damage. I didn't find any large corrosion or rust spots in the targeted areas but i did note some pitting all along the very lower edge of the deck from the crimped areas mentioned in the service bulletin. I sanded the deck per the TSB and thoroughly cleaned all the holes and deck with brake kleen and will be reassembling tonight with a fresh gasket and bolts. Hopefully no more issues :mad:

fjcruiser

Aug 24, 2016
Thankfully mine were stamped L/R and UP so I didn't have that issue but... Damn that Y bridge sure does suck !! I did not remove my turbo and getting them lower rear nuts on those studs took an hour!

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Mine were labeled but I was a lot younger and couldn't pay attn longer than 15-30 sec w/o loosing my train of thought.

Yeah, I left my turbo on too big times, and the bottom y bridge bolts do suck. I ended up taping the top of the bolt heads and jamming them in the ratchet so I didn't loose them but I still had a **** of a time getting the hole to line up

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
You need this socket for y bridge bolts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 64

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
What's the difference in part number for new and old gen gaskets? Can you only get new ones now or still sell the old ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I got my y bridge off and on just fine without a wobble socket. They make extentions that's drive is dimond shaped to give it a little wobble, but I didn't even need that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I got my y bridge off and on just fine without a wobble socket. They make extentions that's drive is dimond shaped to give it a little wobble, but I didn't even need that.

I used the regular 1/4" drive shit the three times mine was apart, wasn't bad overall, it's just getting the little bastards started and getting them out when you misplaced your little magnet.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
I used the regular 1/4" drive shit the three times mine was apart, wasn't bad overall, it's just getting the little bastards started and getting them out when you misplaced your little magnet.

A little piece of paper towel in the socket will hold the nut for you while you get it started.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X2 a little paper towel around the nut makes it easy. The harder the nut is to get into place the more paper towel you use and really jam it on there. Use to much though and you lose your socket.

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Yup paper towel trick works really well for holding nuts in a socket. The thicker "Rags in a box" shop towels work too....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fjcruiser

Aug 24, 2016
I ended up using tape, grease gave me false hope.

OP, you get the head back on yet?

Yes I did, just gotta button up some small stuff tomorrow and I will be ready to fire it up again. I'm a little concerned that I didn't find my smoking gun. Was really hoping to find a clear issue but head was spotless and gasket looked flawless..

fjcruiser

Aug 24, 2016
Head is back on and running! No leaks now!! :D

Other than I noticed fan clutch seems to be seized (fan stays on all the time) and lots of hazing (I'm guessing lots of shit in exhaust and stuff yet). No more leaking or bubbling in tank tho.

fjcruiser

Aug 24, 2016
I cleaned the rails, lines injector inlets and everything else fuel related with liberal doses of brake kleen. Also new O rings and coppers on all injectors. BUT, I did have to get violent with one injector that was stuck in the head from a failed copper washer. Ended up using a slide hammer and lug nut to get it out :D