4 post lifts

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Who has one and what kind? I'm lookin for one to go in the barn to work on the trucks and lift one up and store one under it. I'm gonna pour some concrete in there and was wondering how thick I should pour it? 4" be enough? I was also wondering if they make some that can be moved if need be. let me know.

thanks
Ryan

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Just something to think about but a 2 post is much nicer if you want to work on the car or truck. And you can use a 2 post to store on as well. My father has been doing this for about 10 years.

We have had great luck with rotary. They are a comercial name and built well, not a cheap ho chi min set up. Whatever lift you do chose, the instructions will tell you what they recomend for them floor. We did 6-8" of long hir 4500psi with steel mesh. Overkill by far but why not. The last house he put it up in already had a floor so we had to cut out two 4' by 4' holes and did a 12" think pour for them with rebar tied into the exsisting floor.

Hope this helps.

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
I just like the Idea of the truck sitting on all 4 tires while i'm working. I know a lot have the 2 posts and love them but something about just sitting on the frame doesn't do it for me.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I just like the Idea of the truck sitting on all 4 tires while i'm working. I know a lot have the 2 posts and love them but something about just sitting on the frame doesn't do it for me.

I know how you feel. but belive me I have tried to knock my truck off and if you have the arms set in the correct spot its just not going to happen.:D

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
I know that the 2 post would fit better in the barn the way it's set up in there. With 2 posts would the pads need to be bigger than with 4? I would guess so.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I know how you feel. but belive me I have tried to knock my truck off and if you have the arms set in the correct spot its just not going to happen.:D

But if you have Chinese junk the arms will move and the truck will fall :(

We are also putting a 4 post in the new garage. Not sure if Pat has picked it or not,

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I know that the 2 post would fit better in the barn the way it's set up in there. With 2 posts would the pads need to be bigger than with 4? I would guess so.

I belive the Rotary called for two 4'X4'X10"

With a four post I woun't really worry about cutting holes and pouring pads unless your floor is rediculousy thin (2")

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I also know with a Rotary the only difference between the 7000lbs and 9000lbs lifts is the arms. The rest of the lift was the same. We have even ran straps from arm to arm to lift a boat off the trailer:eek: So that goes to show you how strong the locks are on the Rotary arms:D

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Hey bud, I agree on the 2 post's! I used to think the same thing, the 4post seemed way better, but as an auto tech, i wouldn't want a 4-post anymore! If you plan to do any amount of work on your vehicles (you find you'll use it more than you think) is is
sooooooooooo much nicer to work on! the suspension is unloaded and accesable, less stuff to knock you head on, more room, etc. We have all Rotary brand lifts at work and they get the hell used out of them, even our old ass ones are still great. we have had cars stored on our back shop unit for years and zero issues. I would recomend Rotary, Bend-pak an iirc eagle as ones ive used:)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I belive the Rotary called for two 4'X4'X10"

I disagree, every 9k or 10k lift I have looked at, they all call for 4" thick minimum concrete, nothing special really. None of them say anything about pouring deeper pads etc...

10" thick concrete pad??? thats ridiculous.

May 21, 2008
Stephenville Tx
My uncle bought a 2 post 2 years ago and I love that dame thing it was a life saver doing my trans, exhaust and so on. My uncle saids he wish he would of bought it 15 years ago. I thought the samething about the 2 post at first but not now.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I disagree, every 9k or 10k lift I have looked at, they all call for 4" thick minimum concrete, nothing special really. None of them say anything about pouring deeper pads etc...

10" thick concrete pad??? thats ridiculous.

Have you read the instructions for a Rotary?

It only calls for 2 thick pads if there is an exsisting floor that is not suficent to support it and you do not wish to put in a whole new floor. This is also for an asymmetrical lift which is not a balenced load and needs more support to keep from tipping over.

So keep in mind this is if you are not using the exsisting floor. Do you really think you could put an asymmmetrical lift on two 4'X4'X4" pads and keep it from tipping over?

They also call for different thickness floors depending on what tensle strength concrete you use

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Have you read the instructions for a Rotary?

It only calls for 2 thick pads if there is an exsisting floor that is not suficent to support it and you do not wish to put in a whole new floor. This is also for an asymmetrical lift which is not a balenced load and needs more support to keep from tipping over.

So keep in mind this is if you are not using the exsisting floor. Do you really think you could put an asymmmetrical lift on two 4'X4'X4" pads and keep it from tipping over?

They also call for different thickness floors depending on what tensle strength concrete you use

everything I have read says 4.0-4.5" thick 3500psi concrete. I dont see why one lift mfg would require more than the other.