2nd gear launch

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I got in touch with my latest tuner and he is eager to get my truck runing right. I dont want to be that guy the worries the hell out of someone so sometimes I compromise. I'm confident my tuning will be where it needs to be and then I'll address the converter issue if I need to. I went out today to do a little testing and all I can get on a boosted launch is 2000 rpms with my foot on the floor and 5 psi of boost. This was with 900* egt's.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I got in touch with my latest tuner and he is eager to get my truck runing right. I dont want to be that guy the worries the hell out of someone so sometimes I compromise. I'm confident my tuning will be where it needs to be and then I'll address the converter issue if I need to. I went out today to do a little testing and all I can get on a boosted launch is 2000 rpms with my foot on the floor and 5 psi of boost. This was with 900* egt's.

This is good to hear. :thumb: Most tuners want their customers to be happy, and are willing to help.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Dirtymaxx, I'd rather not mention my tuner's name right now. It's just as much my fault my tuning is'nt finished as it is his. I hadn't heard from him in a while after I sent him a log and just assumed he was done with me. He got busy with other things and I just slipped through the cracks. One email and he's back on it:hug:

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I apreciate all the advice and ideas and thanks for the heads up on the 2wd launch, definately dont wont to break anything by being stupid. Now I just need to decide on a converter.

derek06

Feb 6, 2012
massachusetts
I have only been to the track twice once launching in 1st and once launching in 2nd and to be honest my 1st gear launches were 60'ING better than the 2nd gear. But I too am pretty new to the game and still on a stock charger. That's just my .02

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Does the engine just stop building RPM at 2000 RPM, or does it push through the brake at 2000 RPM?

02sfguy

Mar 15, 2011
I am not sure who your tuner is and I am not trying to step on any ones toes but if you cant get your tuning figured out try giving Moonshine (Tony@ http://www.ridgerunnerdieselperformance.com/) a call. He is a great guy and tunes a lot of drag and sled pulling trucks. He should be able to square you away. good luck

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
My tunes I had from dmax tuner would do that. I could stand on the brake and floor it and it wouldn't blow smoke or spool. Just sounded like it was starving. Is that caused by some sort of MAF limiter in the tuning?

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I got a new revision from my tuner last night, loaded it this morning and went out for a drive. I can easily build boost at the line now. I bring it up to about 1500 RPM's and hold it for a few seconds, when egt's get to about 800* it starts building boost. On just a quick test on a back road I brought it up to 12 psi easily, looks like I'll be able to get it up to about 15 or so which will be more than I've seen at the line with this new charger.