Allison 5sp: 03 LB7 Ally rebuild

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
If it is tearing up the front seal, look at the converter hub bushing for wear or just replace it.

The seal really does not look bad at all. It only leaked while the truck was running, maybe the torque converter wobble or vibration allowed the atf to leak past it? After I dropped the ally I checked the torque converter and there was to much play. I have to take the pump apart anyway I'll be checking it out for sure. Just want this leak nailed down before I put her back together.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Well the bushings are going to get replaced regardless but I found holes drilled out on the separator plate where they should be and the size, but nothing upgraded in the valve body itself and a hole was drilled out that should not have been "control main" to filter. Trying to decide if I could fix it with JB Weld and a needle to form the correct size hole or not. I have used it to fix a cracked block and to my knowledge it's still there and working. I found the C2 apply piston has spider web cracks all around the inside and it is getting replaced. Now it's the wait for parts game.......rather pull my own teeth out.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Well I did get the ally done and back in the truck, had a guy check out the C2 and it was normal said that it was probably the way it looked when it came out of manufacture. Replaced the separator plate found a couple of other holes that should not have been drilled out. But I have been driving her for a couple of weeks now and I had to do things the long way as far as the relearn. If I had the money to do it again I would go with the PPE kit for sure. I used the Borg Warner clutch kit from ATP, GREAT People BTW. But the main reason I would go with PPE kits is shipping costs. I literally was just wasting time and money on the shipping. Ted Keating is another awesome guy and he will help you with hard and soft parts for your Allison. Most of you probably already know about him. For you 1st time DIYers check out the how to on DF Allison 1000 tear down an rebuild and another called Allison 1000 build you can do simple Google search with that and bring it up, but between the 2 and the Allison manual I was able to get clear picture before I even started.Make sure you get the "complete" master rebuild kit with the pistons. I had to much play on the C4 clutches and it was the worn out C4 piston. I also went with a deeper pan and internal filter. Again hopefully in about 250k miles or more I hope I will be doing the PPE instead. By then "I will" have the money to pay somebody else to do it This ole bod can't do it again. Actually I loved doing the rebuild it's a flippin awesome piece of engineering but it is a heavy beast. The climbing around under the truck is a killer and what used to take me a day now takes 5. This site is awesome and Thank You to who ever started it:thumb: