Allison 5sp: 03 LB7 Ally rebuild

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Do not have a lot of cash to work with BUT I have to do a rebuild and I'm shopping around. Has anybody dealt with Makco at all or is it junk like ATS?

Mike L. if you have your kits ready I would be interested. I am only looking for just above stock for towing and carrying a cabover camper through the mountains.
Currently running EFI Live.....NICE...and the truck is running a little over 500 hp. But the PPE stage 4 is a bit much I think of what really need. What converter would be best stahl wise?

Thanks!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The PPE stage 4 is the minimum you need. It's iffy at 500 RWH.

I'm with Mike here. A basic PPE level 4 is the minumum and pretty close to what I'm running at 425 RWHP now. It won't cost you that much more to go with ALTOS over stock clutches, and why not overbuild it while you have it apart. As for a converter, I'm pretty happy with my PI ML, but I think Mike said he has a better mousetrap out now.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Yeah your right about doing the over build but my wallet is telling me otherwise and the wife too. Bad timing with xmas as well. I had the trans out once and found more metal than I should when it drained. Had the pump bolt leak and a bad seal. But I needed the truck on the road. Locals here are pricing out the roof for a rebuild and I could get a whole Ally already rebuilt for way less even with shipping.

Thank you!!

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
so nobody ever dealt with or heard of Macko transmission parts? The website checks out and I have tried to look up any complaints as well and have none so far. I am sure they are NOT top of the line as they do not advertise that way in any shape or form. The pricing is more than fair specially on there converters which makes me nervous. Talking a few hundred for a high stall converter just above stock is my best guess. What does a stock torque converter go for now a days on an Ally?
I am going to go with the PPE 4 but the torque converter is way out of my price range PLUS a new flexplate. Already tore through one. Found it when I replaced the pump seal. I have 258k on this Ally and it is just now starting to show some problems. It was a construction company truck before and the owner used it hard but took care of his equipment and it showed. He replaced one flexplate about a year ago. I new I would be doing some work soon. Did a 6800 mile trek to the east coast and back with the tore up flexplate. She didn't miss a beat. I love the Ally and I know her short comings but over 250k on a hard working machine is not bad, not bad at all. This truck was pulling a diesel fuel tank in the back with a goose neck trailer and backhoe in the Seirras. Carries a fully loaded cabover at about 2200 lbs. and I still get 21mpg....afe intake and efi live awesome and she loves bio-fuel. I have a smoking fuel injector only when I'm running straight up diesel. I have to throw some Stanadyne in the tank with the diesel. oops I wrote a short story:D

xtremebikr04

Jan 17, 2011
Vermont
You go cheap on the alli build and you'll be doing it again, save yourself some $$ down the road and do it right the first time:thumb:

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Yeah your right no question just arguing with myself I guess annnd a little bit with the wife. My saving grace is on the cabover and the fact that she absolutely loves Yosemite. We pinch pennies on a fixed income.

Do the whole PPE 4 kit with the converter and new billet flexplate.....ouch.....Love my truck......I'll just keep repeating that to myself.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
With your mileage you will need a bunch of extra parts that the kits do not supply. be carefull when you pick your builder.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Oh your talkin er typing to the builder Mike L. The guys around here want like 5k for a rebuild and that aint happening. I have experience on trans just not with the Ally. My biggest prob is with the weight and my screwed up back. What used to take me a couple days takes me a week. I can do it no doubt with a wee bit o help from the meds. but my bod pay's the price for it.

Thank you for the reply's everybody and Mike if you have any tips on what to look for that would be most welcome for sure.

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Call Mike and be done with it. He will set you up nice, for a price that will be hard to beat unless you take a couple months piecing it together. Either lower you power or build it right.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Well there is no lowering the power unless I get rid of the engine altogether. I'm back tracking here and trying to get more history on what was done with the engine and the trans. There's apperantly more under the hood than stock and an AFE intake. He had hardwired an Edge system that I had to remove and the guys at Dynamic Diesel did an awesome job with the help of a local GM dealer getting it flashed back to stock and then EFI Live tune that was setup more for towing and fuel mileage. But he (the previous owner) had more in the trans than I thought and supposed to get back with me, but why he kept putting a stock flexplate in place is beyond me except maybe the cost at the time and trying to run his biz. I most likely will not know until I tear into the trans and until then I won't know what needs to be replaced if anything. Depends who the past builder was. It will have to wait until after the holidays, just did some math and our budget will not carry a rebuild until well really after the 1st of the year. After that I WILL be making some phone calls for sure and get a plan in place. A learning process for sure and actually I love it.

One last thing here, A call out to everybody over on the east coast and specially CT. may God less You All and that you find peace in your heart and the strength to endure.
May God Be With You.

Janimal444

Jun 25, 2012
Salem, NH
Well there is no lowering the power unless I get rid of the engine altogether. I'm back tracking here and trying to get more history on what was done with the engine and the trans. There's apperantly more under the hood than stock and an AFE intake. He had hardwired an Edge system that I had to remove and the guys at Dynamic Diesel did an awesome job with the help of a local GM dealer getting it flashed back to stock and then EFI Live tune that was setup more for towing and fuel mileage. But he (the previous owner) had more in the trans than I thought and supposed to get back with me, but why he kept putting a stock flexplate in place is beyond me except maybe the cost at the time and trying to run his biz. I most likely will not know until I tear into the trans and until then I won't know what needs to be replaced if anything. Depends who the past builder was. It will have to wait until after the holidays, just did some math and our budget will not carry a rebuild until well really after the 1st of the year. After that I WILL be making some phone calls for sure and get a plan in place. A learning process for sure and actually I love it.

One last thing here, A call out to everybody over on the east coast and specially CT. may God less You All and that you find peace in your heart and the strength to endure.
May God Be With You.

There is no reason to run an aftermarket flex plate at a little north of 500hp. I would keep the stock one unless it is cracked, even then I'd probably just replace it with another stocker.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
If you're after a billet flex plate, there is a member here currently selling a BD flex plate for a little over 300 bucks. Great deal. If you're sold on getting one, you won't find one cheaper.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
If you're after a billet flex plate, there is a member here currently selling a BD flex plate for a little over 300 bucks. Great deal. If you're sold on getting one, you won't find one cheaper.

the BD isn't billet & you still use the stock flywheel

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
I purchased a stock flexplate from a DD member and actually I worry. The one I just replaced was only 8 months old from what I gather from the previous owner and yep the car fax matched up as far as a dealer doin work on the truck. But I have never seen a flexplate with really tears in it not just cracked. I can't believe I'm about to say this, "BUT back in the day"....yikes....I used to build cars and run the strip down in Southern MD, place called Buds Creek. I've had drive shafts come through the floor board running well over 575 hp. that was a 351 Cleveland that we basically turned into cobra jet engine, tunnel ram with 2 450's on top. That one was always my favorite tank of a car 73 Gran Torino kinda like the Starsky an Hutch but with the fast back rear instead of step down rear window to trunk lid. But I know we put a hurtin on the flywheel which is what the flexplate is bolted to and that bad boy is thin. I called my friend that did the dyno test on the truck, couldn't remember and I couldn't find the paperwork but the truck is turning 525 hp at the rear. Maybe the 1st replacement was bad but it still looks and feels light weight to me. Maybe I can post a pic of it.

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Okay I get to looking and reading so much well ya know when your getting old when you have to start writing everything down, but no the BD flexplate is not billet and just a true flexplate and what I saw was an ATS billet flywheel/flexplate what looks to be a combination of the 2 but all one piece. Looks like BD makes the same thing as ATS but not for the GM at least from what I have found so far. From what I have read in other forums the stock flexplate is weak and anything over 450 hp would still be putting a hell of a lot of torque on it. I'm liking the look of the one piece billet. MY past experience with ATS has never been a good one though and I do apologize for my remark, don't like the taste of the foot in mouth ya know!

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Okay if I can believe what I have been told this is the 8 month old flexplate. Again this guy was pulling a backhoe and carrying an aux. fuel tank and pump. A good bit of the spring and summer we plan on being on the road, hopefully anyway, and the cabover is about 2200 lbs and some times and 24 ft. travel trailer as well, mostly mountain travel. My Avatar shows the cabover and I had an airbag leak at the time. Supposed to be a mid level or beginner camper. I chose it because it's about as light as I want to go and still have a decent shower. Would love to put a flat bed on back instead, the rear fenders/truck rail and wheel wells are a waist of space.

I should have combined all this into one......... yet another DUH moment. But I have e-mailed back an forth with the previous owner which I am very surprised he has even bothered with. To make it short, most of what he does now mostly involves the bottle. I bought this truck from a local dealer who bought this truck at auction, what I didn't know was that it was a repo hence the edge system being tore up. The flexplate is 13 months old and actually the second one he replaced and the only work done on the trans......my duh moment is having to fix the leaking pump bolts.....that would be a tell. The only work done is on the engine a new top end,he claims to have installed a comp cam and I did see the BD exhaust and new cross over pipes, a new turbo and waist gate, new is actually about 3 years ago. I'm still deciphering the carfax report date wise. Oh yeah when you go vehicle shopping leave your emotions at home like going shopping when your hungry, but I fell in love with this truck when I took it out for a test drive almost like being back in the big rig again. Asking price was 14k and I got him down to 11k and then he, the dealer, screwed up and forgot to do the smog first which set him back just under 1k, he was not a happy camper. I do know he still made out like a friggen bandit though. At any rate I do know I'm starting from scratch on the ally. I have found through my neighbor, a friend of is has the whole Alto master rebuild kit still in the box and all the paperwork for $500.........Yeah Buddy!!!!! But I still have to find where the metal came from.....my other duh moment......the carfax shows a very, very good service record with his local dealer.
I have no codes and the ally shifts strong BUT past experience with heavy equipment and trucking tells me if you see that kind of metal, enough to cover the top of your thump means a tear down in the very near future. I have, and actually I forgot to mention the 1st time around, experienced limp mode 3 times on the same hill and at the same speed at 70 and it was just about to down shift and would literally SLAM into limp mode and throw the rpms out the roof. Each time it happened I pulled over shut the truck down cycle the ignition key 2 or 3 times, then start it up and be on my merry way. At the time I was empty no load on the truck with never a problem on a road trip. That was also before replacing the flexplate and since then new trans fluid and filters and of course the pump seal. Since then no limp mode and I have pushed it hard on the same hill trying to replicate the same situation.

Again thank you for the reply's and I want to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas, I figure better now ya know just in case, I mean it is the 20th and tomorrow may not come.

Attachments

• IMG_20121219_125158.jpg.jpg
    IMG_20121219_125158.jpg.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20121219_125238.jpg.jpg
    IMG_20121219_125238.jpg.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

killian44p

Earth Roamer
Oct 9, 2012
Nevada
Well still here, but now the scientists say the dooms day clock has about run out of time at 5 till dooms day....what ever.
Anyway I have the trans out and torn apart and everything looks good except the c3's and they are not that bad, in fact looks like a pretty recent rebuild, looks to be raybestos clutches. The best I can figure is that the flexplate did the damage. The torque converter is shot and where the metal was coming from. Must have had some wobble too cause there are bump and rub marks on the inside of the bell. The input shaft is straight no cracks teeth or spline looks good. I need to check the bell housing make sure there it's straight but so far I don't see any major damage other than the torque converter.
But the major leak is still a question, I'm guessing the pump seal and the pump housing o-ring to bell housing. It looks like crap, small skinny thing it is. The valve body and the wiring looks golden. I'm going to do all clutches except the C5's and the Transgo shift kit. The steels are all in great shape as well, prob keep everything for back up. Anybody have any suggestions on the leak it would be great. Am I missing anything? Clean the case up an look for cracks.

Last edited: