Your ECM may not be dead

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
This happened to me for the second time yesterday... I was reading a file from a truck and the process haulted so I manually stopped it. Retried and was given the missing calibration message and ECM not found, truck would not start and the DIC was dashed out. This is the first time this has happened to me while reading a file, the first time it happened the customer had an aftermarket radio and EFI Live lost communication with the ECM.

How I have fixed it:

With the key in the run postion pop open the hood and open the fuse box

Locate the ECM fuse IIRC it is a 20amp fuse labeled PCM 1?

Remove the fuse and then reinsert it

You will hear the ECM switch on.

I stumbled upon this and it has saved me twice... The key must be in the run position for this to work

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
had to do this a few times with m LLY when trying to get tit to tune/read without unhooking the radion wire harness

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Good info Nick. I just went through this with mine last week... Thought I had fragged the ecm. Swapped the spare in. Cindy talked me into putting the original back in to take some screen shots for the EFI crew, Shazam it was working again:eek: Still have a weird issue with my tune but not ready to give up and ask for help just yet:D

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I am baffled that the ECM could have gotten "stuck" simply by reading the file... I have cancelled mid read many times to no ill effect. Very very strange BTW both trucks I talked about were 05 LLY's :D

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
my lmm did the same going down the road one day, engine just died. Tried to crank and absolutely nothing, but all interior functions worked fine. pulled the ecm fuse and truck fired right up. That was over a year ago, never had any problems since.

johnroot

Jan 29, 2014
I know this is an old thread, but I just did this, and my truck is now running again, but DIC is blank, and guages are dead. How do I get it back?