which clutch plates to go with

Teamvi

Oct 26, 2011
I see that suncoast offers two different brand clutches for the rebuild kits, can someone tell me what th e difference is and which one is better for what? Thanks

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
You tell us what you want to do and what your plans are. Then you'll get the best recommendations.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have rabestos in mine now. I have ran Alto before as well. Most builders seem to used a combination of both and a mix of steels as well. In general if you use only one brand there seems to be less problems with Altos. I'm sure that is also dependent on the application. Extreme hp doesn't mix well with either. It is not a do it one time and forget type of thing.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I just pulled a set of carbonites out of a transmission and they were pretty rough. I like the Raybestos clutches. The kits iv got from Evan have stacked out perfect.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
My kit stacked out perfect as well. I ordered another raybestos kit from Evan this afternoon for an lbz I'm building next week.

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
I havent ran the carbonite altos yet, but I really do like the raybestos clutches, other than issues with clearances with on c3/c4s. 6 out of the last 8 I had to machine the factory backing plates to get the proper clearance. The steels are consistent, but the frictions are very inconsistent from what i have seen.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I havent ran the carbonite altos yet, but I really do like the raybestos clutches, other than issues with clearances with on c3/c4s. 6 out of the last 8 I had to machine the factory backing plates to get the proper clearance. The steels are consistent, but the frictions are very inconsistent from what i have seen.

Groove differences in cases possibly?

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois
Could be, but measuring the thickness of the frictions, showed quite a difference between them. Maybe I am over thinking that and it just is case differences