Where to put H20 meth nozzles?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Hey guys-

I have always thought a good H2O/meth kit would be a nice upgrade, I know there's allot of back and forth about its usefulness vs cost to run/maintenance and catastrophic possibility incurred by running a H2O/meth kit, but I still like the benefits.

Currently I am looking to buy a new hot side IC pipe and there is an option for adding threaded bungs. Which got me to wondering, looking forward and the strong possibility of using a H2O/meth kit and or nitrous, would they be for nitrous or H2O/meth, and where would be the best place to place them? Just after the turbo, or just before the intercooler, one post turbo and one pre intercooler?

Can you run H20/meth and a progressive nitrous system together? And again, is it desirable at all to place the nozzles pre intercooler, or is it best to fog the intake tract at the Y-bridge?

I kinda thought running H2O/meth pre intercooler would help more than after the intercooler, as it would have the opportunity to mix longer and possibly more thoroughly as well as be given a moment longer to cool the charge air and allow it to get nice and dense in the intercooler....and the intercooler makes a good "buffer" between the kit and the engine if something were to go wrong

What are you guys doing? And has it been successful, would you do it again the same way?

Thanks for your thoughts:hug:

Last edited:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I sprayed water/meth in 2008? IIRC and started spraying nitrous this year... nitrous is way easier to make power from and honestly.... the only EGT difference I saw was with straight water. I gained about 70hp with a 30/70 mix but EGT's were out of control. I don't see it as being worth needed anymore.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I sprayed water/meth in 2008? IIRC and started spraying nitrous this year... nitrous is way easier to make power from and honestly.... the only EGT difference I saw was with straight water. I gained about 70hp with a 30/70 mix but EGT's were out of control. I don't see it as being worth needed anymore.

Same here. My egts were all over when I had water meth. Wouldn't ever do it again even if it was given to me.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I like it and run it. Put the nozzles close to the Y bridge. If you put it before the intercooler you could have pooling in the intercooler. Yes you can run it with nitrous. I wouldn't run a bunch of meth with nitrous. I would keep it close or lower to your 30/70 range. I used to run 50/50 before the built engine. I now run it about 10/90 just for the cooling effect while towing.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Injecting pre intercooler would have the greatest potential impact on charge air cooling, but then could allow water to condense out of the air and pool as mentioned above.

Rudolph diesel patented a water injection system with his engine patents, so the history goes even farther back than high compression aircraft engines like all the marketing hype mentions. As mentioned above though WATER injection was the original and was to manage inlet charge and combustion temps and usually has either a tiny positive or negative impact on total power but can really impact EGTs. Trying to throw methanol into the mix and claim crazy power gains is a new thing, and not really rational in a well tuned diesel with near stoichiometric air:fuel ratios as diesel contains more chemical potential energy with a more ideal burn characteristic (that the entire engine was optimized for...) than methanol. I may run a water system on my truck to drop EGTs because I got it to tow and it's great for EGT control under load, but seeing a big gain from water meth more likely indicates extra air you aren't using to burn diesel and not so much a drastic air density boost.

At least that's my opinion... Never run it personally but I have seen a nitromethane dragster launch a cylinder head 50 feet in the air. Not the same molecule exactly, but still makes me second guess throwing short chain alcohols into a long carbon chain burning engine.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
What about a small jet pre or right after the intercooler and another at the y bridge? Give it plenty of time to cool?