what will swap with an LB7?

wirenut

searching 4 common cents
Aug 30, 2009
NYC
Hi everyone, I'm a new user, here's my story:

I bought a used 03 work truck with an LB7 with 176,000 on it from Penske Leasing in Georgia. It has a special boom lift on the back and was a good deal so it was worth the trip.

I drove it back to NY and used it for 6 months with no engine trouble (just brake booster). I gave it to an employee to use for two weeks and it blew a head. I had the head replaced ($4000) and two days later a bearing went (or so I am being told) The engine is making terrible noises.

I don't want to fix this engine, I just want to swap out the whole thing. I see they are expensive.

I was wondering which other engine models will swap with an LB7 without trouble. Everything is factory stock - no mods

Appreciate any help or suggestions

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa

I bought a used 03 work truck with an LB7 with 176,000 on it from Penske Leasing in Georgia. It has a special boom lift on the back and was a good deal so it was worth the trip.

I drove it back to NY and used it for 6 months with no engine trouble (just brake booster). I gave it to an employee to use for two weeks and it blew a head. I had the head replaced ($4000) and two days later a bearing went (or so I am being told) The engine is making terrible noises.

I don't want to fix this engine, I just want to swap out the whole thing. I see they are expensive.

I was wondering which other engine models will swap with an LB7 without trouble. Everything is factory stock - no mods

IF you are asking what will just bolt in place with no modifications the answer is another LB7......Not sure what your trying to ask....a LLY, LBZ, LMM, gasser, cummins:confused:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I meant another style Duramax like the LLY or LBZ

Its a rather large project, it has need done but wireing, computer, exc are different. Not to mention the LBZ comes with a 6 speed...not sure what is involved in that. Easiest and best thing to do is either fix your LB7 or get another one.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

An LLy can be swapped in, just need FICM, ECM, Turbo and harness.

But I would just put another LB7 in. They are the best of the duramax family (besides the inj. issue).

wirenut

searching 4 common cents
Aug 30, 2009
NYC
Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with with the LB7. I thought if the others were easy swaps it would make finding one easier.

Thanks again