What Coolant is Best?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I am getting ready to put my built motor together and am wondering what coolant I should run?

I was currently planning on running CAT ELC (the red stuff) and am wondering if thats my best choice?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I agree, don't over think this.dexcool is good, so are others. Just buy what you can get and stick with it

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
I just flushed my system and chose to stay with Dex. Most of the horror stories I read about were from people that hadn't flushed their system in like 5 years.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Never had a problem with Dexcool. I was just talking about this to my father-in-law. I know know it’s at least 9 years old in my wife’s Tahoe if not 11. My in-laws have 12 years on their’s vehicles. I’ve had lots of our fleet vehicles that never get flushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Dex-Cool it is!

Does it matter where it came from? I am sponsored by the local GM dealership so it wouldn't be too pricey there or is someone else's formula better for dex-cool?

I'm OCD on fluids.

Vmyrhaug

Mar 6, 2016
Norway
i run cat elc. easy too get(because i'm cat serviceman) and haven't found any better coolant. an it comes ready too fill, no adding water. never seen a engine with corroson inside with this coolant..

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Whatever you run, don't run the silicate based crap Ford uses. My brother swapped his 6.0L PowerStroke to Dexcool and saw a 10° temperature drop for coolant and almost the same for oil temp.

We run Dexcool in basically everything (including the Fords lol), never have any issues. Just swap it every 5 years and you won't have any corrosion issues. If you use the generic green stuff, swap every 3 years and you'll be fine too.

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I run regular green coolant in everything. It has been around forever and hasnt caused any problems i am aware of. I have ran it in all my trucks and my wifes 12 suburban along with a 12, 14 6.7 powerstroke

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Whatever you run, don't run the silicate based crap Ford uses. My brother swapped his 6.0L PowerStroke to Dexcool and saw a 10° temperature drop for coolant and almost the same for oil temp.

We run Dexcool in basically everything (including the Fords lol), never have any issues. Just swap it every 5 years and you won't have any corrosion issues. If you use the generic green stuff, swap every 3 years and you'll be fine too.

I break something or decide pulling the motor is fun way too often to let it go 5 years between changes.