LBZ: Valve coating flaking

ChevyfreakLBZ

2007 LBZ
Sep 12, 2019
Iowa
Hi guys I'm new to the forum, sorry in advance if I sound like a a idiot, but I wanted get some insight on a weird issue with my valves I've never seen before. I took my heads to the machine shop to have them resurfaced, and asked the machinest to pull a couple valves to check my valve guides. The only reason being was one valve had some small particles built up on the face of it almost looking like super fine dots of rust leading me to think maybe it was leaking some water through my head gasket. He pulled those vales and seen that they were flaking on the stem and said they felt somewhat like sand paper which didnt sound good. He pulled a couple more valves and they were the same way. Sorry for such a story but the motor has about 80xxx miles on it and did a rebuild due to a failed oil pump. I am going to look at them tomorrow and I'll get pictures of them but any help would be great! Thanks-Jake

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If the oil pump failed and it was run for any amount of time like that It could possibly damage the valves.

I would think it's more likely debris from taking out the bearings.

I don't recall any type of coating on the valves though. Pictures would be helpful.