using a lb7 short block in a lml

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Ok, I have a buddy with a 2011 lml. Supposedly the crank is cracked. He has a lb7 short block ready to roll. I have heard of people doing the reverse of this but never using a lb7 short block in a lml.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks, Joe

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
Rear cover on lml has a coolant port on the top of it next to the turbo oil drain port. And turbo oil feed port is also on the rear cover not the block. So you'll need to block off the feed in the valley on the lb7 block
Your also putting in a weaker block and rods lol but if its just a driver then no big deal I guess.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Just curious here, but can a LB7 block still be used as a foundation for a completely built motor and survive?

Nick

Of coarse it can most built motors on here are lb7s.Also the crank break numbers are about even lb7 vs lbz and there are alot more lb7s out there so I take it thats a good sign.

huro0302

Jan 28, 2012
-FYI, Oil pressure/Temp. sensor(the sensor on the rear drivers side of the block closest to the oil cooler is also different than the one on the LB7). If I remember correctly I think the LML sensor had a larger/different thread pitch as well so you may need to retrofit something there to accomodate that sensor. I would check this out of the truck as it was a pain in the but to reach once it was in the truck.

-Possibly front and rear cover as well, Going into the LB7 truck he used the LML rear cover and put a LB7 oil pump and front cover on the engine.

Just doing my best to work backwards as we just got finished installing an LML bottom end in a Lb7, so you may need to change other different things as well for your application.

Last edited:

polygaryd

Feb 10, 2024
Arizona
Not to hijack ththe thread but I was curious what needs to be done to use an entire lb7 (2001) engine in an lml truck (2013). I'm assuming I still need to change front and rear covers, oil pan, reluctor wheel and change/adapt the oil temp/pressure sensor somehow? Anything else? This will need to be smogged where I live.