turbo cfm

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
hi dose anyone know what a stock turbo out of an lly put out in cfm. Wanting to get a different intercooler for my build. Thanks Denis

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Stock turbo doesn't benefit much from a different intercooler. Unless yours is leaking or damaged I wouldn't change it.

There have been plenty of people to make big power on a stock intercooler.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If I recall, a stock turbo can push near 500 grams/sec, which (very roughly) translates to 880 CFM. So if you size your cooler for 900-1000 CFM, you should be OK for a stock(ish) tune.

I presume you are putting the Duramax into something other than the GM truck it came in?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Stock turbo doesn't benefit much from a different intercooler. Unless yours is leaking or damaged I wouldn't change it.

There have been plenty of people to make big power on a stock intercooler.

Not for long. A stock cooler couldn’t hold up to a little 66mm and stock fuel. It will crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not for long. A stock cooler couldn’t hold up to a little 66mm and stock fuel. It will crack.

Ive got 20k miles on my 68mm Stage 2r from danville with 60% overs, 10mm pump, ect and a stock intercooler. That intercooler also has 355k miles. I'm pretty sure its not the weakest link.

Friend of mine was running a S476 for the last 2 years and has not had one issue yet making 800+ rwhp.

Can they crack? Sure, but if your on a stock turbo or even a drop in single IMO I wouldn't worry about it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive got 20k miles on my 68mm Stage 2r from danville with 60% overs, 10mm pump, ect and a stock intercooler. That intercooler also has 355k miles. I'm pretty sure its not the weakest link.

Friend of mine was running a S476 for the last 2 years and has not had one issue yet making 800+ rwhp.

Can they crack? Sure, but if your on a stock turbo or even a drop in single IMO I wouldn't worry about it.

its dependent on boost levels and if you got a "good one". i know of multiple trucks around me that had them blow out in the usual places at the top/bottom by the tanks under the cores. that said, i have two buddies with LLY's that have stock intercoolers with very minimal leakage (steve and nate, they both are on here, they weep a bit around the core/end tanks) but they keep tickin. Mine didnt make more than a year at 50-55psi before it was shot.

They are more likely to leak than not leak, by a large margin. i would pressure test that cooler at min 30 psi and hose it down with soapy water. you would be surprised at the pin hole leaks

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Anything that will hold 45 psi of boost pressure is going to crack it. I have had three crack on different trucks with stock fuel and a 366 to 371. It did take a couple years before we found it but it did happen.

Deny

Oct 30, 2016
Thanks guys for all the replys the reason i ask is i need a smaller cooler to fit in a 55 chevy truck but want to make sure it is big enough. I dont plan on going crazy with power 450 to 500 in that small body should do the trick for me Thanks Denis