Torsion Bar Install Issue

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Hello all,

I recently removed my torsion bars to install the new lift, and while reinstalling, I noticed the driver side torsion bar is not centered in the crossmember pocket like the passenger side.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Could it have something to do with the position of the bar in the control arm slot?

I had marked them driver and passenger and their position in the control arm slot, but I mistakenly errased the mark on this bar while handling it and didn't think the position in the slot mattered.

Attached are pictures of both the driver and passenger side for comparison. Next weekend, I plan on popping that bar back out and rotating it in the control arm slot to see if there's a position in which it's centered.

Just wanted to check and see if anyone has any experience here.
7ffd94c9d1ac3f4e38d35bc47c5e870f.jpg
7d6214d1e0f612c3fba405ef73433990.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

corneredge

Sep 11, 2016
North East USA
Just did my lower control arms. This is easy to do on installation - fix is to jack up the truck, loosen the tension bolt on the key and then wiggle the key back into center place, it should go to center. Then re-tension the key. The bolt will probably be in a different position when done, but you should be able to have it centered.

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Just did my lower control arms. This is easy to do on installation - fix is to jack up the truck, loosen the tension bolt on the key and then wiggle the key back into center place, it should go to center. Then re-tension the key. The bolt will probably be in a different position when done, but you should be able to have it centered.
The photo taken was with no tension on the bar.

And it doesn't let me push it closer to the center. It's almost like its caught at an angle on the control arm.

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Also worth mentioning that the driver side torsion bar took ALOT more force applied to the tool in order to try and get the key out of the way to install the bolt.

This made me think maybe something was wrong with the driver side install.

corneredge

Sep 11, 2016
North East USA
it should move somwhat freely on the bar - might want to pull it out and clean/grease things up. There is a slot that holds the key in the center for the bar.

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Fixed this issue by pulling the bar out and rotating it in the control arm slot. There was one position in which it centered up in the crossmember hole.

Thank you all for the input!