Thinking about S300 on LML looking for opinions

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I'm to the point with my LML where I'm limited by air and looking for an upgrade. I kind of have my heart set on a fixed single but want decent response and low end with minimal smoke. I saw fleeces S362 set up but think it's pricy for what it is and would like to be around 650 hp.

I am thinking an S364.5 or S366 should get me where I want to be but am wondering what I should go with on the turbine side. I'm thinking maybe a 68mm turbine with a .83 AR IWG T4 housing for the S364.5 but wondering if the 68mm may be a bit small and give high egts. For the 366 I'm considering the 73mm turbine with a .83 AR T4 housing, not sure if gating it would be necessary.

This would be for a 100% daily driven street truck. Given my goals of 650hp, minimal smoke, strong low end and response what would you guys recommend? would either of the above work well for my goals?

I know compounds or a VGT are ideal for what I'm after and I am still considering some options there, but wondering what my best choice would be on the fixed single options.

Any advice is appreciated I don't have a lot of seat time with many different fixed options so all thoughts/insight is appreciated!

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
First off I DO NOT have experience with these turbos tho I wish I did. But from what I've read and general consensus. An s400 frame turbo is much more reliable in the long run than an s300 frame. I really don't see much point personally In paying all that money for 62 or 64mm turbo. Not enough gains to outweigh the price for me. Most guys like a 66mm turbo. Nice low end but still makes great power. But be careful. Low end power is what makes motors go boom. Don't know if your rods are stock or not. If they are you're playing with fire at that power level. Especially with twins of you go that route. Can't speak for any vgts tho

D1rty-max

Spare some change?
Jul 16, 2015
Longview, TX
The new sxe chargers are pretty impressive on my lbz I don't regret one bit going away from a vgt however some others may disagree it's just a matter of opinion but I say do it you will love it! My truck was very streetable with the 66/74/.91

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Thanks guys. I am still on stock bottom end so I know I will be living a bit dangerously, however, I have a short list of guys I'm looking at for tuning and trust that they can keep me fairly safe. I know the older S300s had a bad rep, but I've talked to a few reputable shops that have installed a lot of these and they have all told me the SXEs are much more reliable and most have not seen any failures yet. What I'm really trying to figure out is:

Can the S364.5 get me to 650hp and will the 68mm turbine/.83 AR comfortably support that, or will I have ridiculous EGTs? I know the 68mm is not the norm on dmaxs but saw fleece is running it for their set up so I am curious of other, more experienced, people's opinions since I am a newb to performance dmaxs.

If I go the S366sxe route withe the 73mm turbine will I have EGT issues with a .83 AR housing? If I go the .83 AR should this be gated?

Thanks!

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
I had an lml with 475 over stock it spent a year and 50,000 miles on a 650 horse tune. I did wide open runs just about every day with it on stock bottom end. No issues at all with engine. I know it was hanging out on the ragged edge but she hung in there......

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Subd! Trying to figure out where my goals are for my truck before I start tossing parts at it and turbo talk is 1 thing I am not 100% smart on...

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
I would talk with mark as he has a 68stg2r hes been working on for lml that actually functions as desired in tuning

That being said, s300s are reliable. plenty of trucks with stock fuel and an s366 drive just like stock. And they make plenty of power to run consistant low 12s in ccsb trucks

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I have talked to Mark, and he does indeed have several great options. I am still considering a VGT or compounds (although a little different than your typical S475 over stock). That said, and this may sound like a completely ridiculous reason to ditch the VGT, I HATE the way a VGT sounds and think fixed vanes sound bad ass. The other draw to it, is once I have the S300 kit, is it's more modular I can put on different turbos or turbine housings to play with for minimal expense. Then there is the benefit of less complexity or stuff to go wrong.

The point of this post is that I know which direction I plan to take if I decide to go VGT or compounds. However, I was hoping to identify the best option for a fixed vane set up to meet my needs/preferences because I feel like I have my heart set on one but lack the experience to make an educated decision on what is my best option. That's where the knowledgeable members of DD come in :D

Thanks guys!

Wikid

Machinist and Know things
Oct 21, 2016
Texas
I think Compounds are awesome on these trucks, and most good kits are just a little more than a new turbo. If you do the usual S475 over stock the daily drive aspect is awesome. Quick spool, Low EGTs if you tow, and you get your benefit of VGT, also since it goes through the S475 last you get the good sound of fixed vane. Best comment my dad made when I put the twins on, "well it doesnt sound like a diesel anymore, sounds like a jet". Mine was pushing 700hp with a kit from SDP, S475 over stock and 60% overs. I daily drove my truck and loved it, I did end up cracking a piston about 2 years later.

It rarely smoked unless you really dumped the throttle from a stop, easily made 650hp, and i felt the response was much better. PM me if you have any questions about what I ran.

I have not experienced any of the singles listed though.

Wikid

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I agree that compound twin turbos are awesome all around on these trucks, be he's made it very clear he's after a very specific sound, and type of single turbo.

I would still give Mark from Danville a call. He's very knowledgeable, and very helpful on any kind of turbo question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
I agree that compound twin turbos are awesome all around on these trucks, be he's made it very clear he's after a very specific sound, and type of single turbo.

I would still give Mark from Danville a call. He's very knowledgeable, and very helpful on any kind of turbo question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks, that's a good idea, I haven't talked to Mark about fixed vane options. Maybe he will be at Wagler in June and I can pick his brain then.