The best "ALL ON" 6hi headlight mod....

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Ok, so "best" might be a stretch...

I think it's the easiest, least invasive and cheapest way to do it

I took this off my truck to show y'all this, so I dont have a "start to finish" pic stream....

Here's how I did it though...

This is another alternative to the all on mod that I've seen others take, and a way less expensive and less invasive option than wiring in a separate harness and fuse, and you don't cut into or splice anything. This is an option that takes about 10min to do and costs $3 or less and can be done in the top of the fuse box...

You just need to tie a diode in line between the # 85 pins on the relay fuses for the head/fog/brights, at least that's the pin # that works on 06-10 trucks.

Just run one diode off of each the head and fog lights #85 pin of the gray square relay fuse in the under hood fuse box.

The diode type you'll need or diode # is 4004, I got them from radio shack, you will need only two, they come in a pack of 3 iirc, buy two packs....
there's actually a couple threads about it here...completing the task in a similar fashion...

Here's a pic of the fuse diagram, I circled the #85 pin locations and drew with a red line the path I took, each black square thingy in the red line is a diode, this was an old path, I realized I only needed two diodes after a couple attempts...

35bt2tu.jpg

To do this you will need to use two #4004 diodes, making sure to always have the grey band on the diode facing the high beam relay, take one diode full length from the low beam relay #85 pin, to the high beam relay #85 pin bend it to fit between the fuses and make sure it is centered leaving equal amount of diode wire on each side, on the low beam side, using as little length as possible, make the diode wire bend all the way around the 85 pin to secure it in place, I used needle nose pliers to do this to keep the diode wire neat and tight to the pin. After the circlet has been completed, refit the diode with it attached to the low beam relay and set the relay in place, now, making sure the diode fits between both the high and low beam relays, bend a "leg" on the diode wire on the high beam relay side to set it into the the #85 pin location of the fuse panel and set the leg into that hole, then set the high beam relay, it should secure the diode wire in the receptacle.

Now, your done if all you want to do is run the high and low beams together...

If you have, and would also like to run and keep your fog lights on for the "6 HI mod", you need to run another diode from the #85 pin of the fog relay, with the grey band of the diode on the high beam side of the circuit, make a leg to drop into the 85 pin slot for the fog light relay, set the leg into the hole and fit the fog diode to the hi/lo diode you preciously set, cut the fog diode wire in front of the diode to fit with, and solder it to the hi/lo diode in front of or on the high beam relay side of the actual diode for the hi/lo path(see pics). Bam, you're done. And it should look something like this, if not better...

fwi7t.jpg

29da7i1.jpg

153w3z8.jpg

21c89k3.jpg

rkc11f.jpg

6nsi35.jpg

With it wired like this the lows and fogs don't ever go off when the high beam circuit is engaged and when you flash your high beams with the light circuit off all the lights will illuminate as well, FYI

I have done this to 3 GM rigs now with no issues

Even though you only need 2 diodes, buy many more, if you try and get everything working and don't have the diodes going the right way, they get fried instantly when you turn the light switch on :thumb:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Yeah it looks like it might be a little cheesy...but it's Super cheap, super effective and super easy:D and I've done it several times, and ran this set up like this for years

Enjoy running your HID headlights and your high beams and never worry about switching off the high beams into darkness again...

I run 35w HID's in the lo and fogs, and 50w in the high beams and it's friggin bright and really sweet to "always" have the light I need ;)

I hope that this turns out to be helpful for all who read it...

:happy2:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Same thing that GMC2500HD did 10 years ago. Nothing new.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71...way-keep-both-low-high-beams-same-time-2.html
Post 25 and 35 to start

Nope, it's not a new thing at all...you're right...

I tried to view that link, I'm not a member there, and the link you posted said I wasn't logged in when it loaded...

In the last several months I've seen numerous questions about it, and there's a couple different threads here already I know, I just haven't seen one here laid out this simple

But thanks Tom for pointing that out:hug:

:)

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Not all years of trucks are wired the same, so do some checking before doing this mod.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Have had this done for 4 years now. Great mod! This is the only way I knew of doing it. What was the other way?

There's a wiring kit with an in line fuse, I've seen jumper wires used instead of diodes and just yesterday the member Its1ow posted something about splicing wires under the dash....:confused:

Hence the thread re-up on this mod

Here's what was posted yesterday on this forum about an all on solution:

So fixed the headlight high/low issue, really simple fix.

Pull the plastic under the dash and splice the high on signal line into the high flash line. This way the ballast always remains energized.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Really you never should have your fogs come on with your HI's. Take it from a guy that spends lots of time in BFE in trucks with shitty lights. The best thing you can do is minimize foreground light. Starting with no fogs and turning your dash light all the way down.

LB7_01DURAMAX

Apr 11, 2019
Ohio
My 2001 does not have separate hi and low headlight relays. Is there a different way to get the lows to stay on when I turn my brights on.