Soft Converter Lockup

Oldvintageiron

Jul 5, 2014
I rebuilt my transmission about 5,000 miles ago with a Georand Kit and a Georand R converter. I reset the trans with a Tech2
When new the converter would lock up solid and feel like another gear shift. Lately it has softened up and almost feels like a stock converter. Only code I had was a U1024 code for the TCM Lost communication, I also had a bunch of other random U codes . I cleared it and it has not came back. I pulled the pan and there is nothing in it. I also cut open the filter and found nothing. I also check main line pressure and it is at 282. I did not do anything with the converter cut back. All sensors and Solenoids are new along with a new pressure switch

Do these at triple disc converters soften up over time?

Also the trans does not get very warm. Mostly stays around 130-140. The hottest it has got was 170.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
With no mod on the flow valve, you are dropping 100/150 psi when your converter locks. This pressure drop is across the board. Normal.

Oldvintageiron

Jul 5, 2014
Correct Mike, but it was locking more firm when I first put it in. And now it feels like it slides in to lockup. Could the cut back valve been stuck? Every thing was taken apart and cleaned.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Correct Mike, but it was locking more firm when I first put it in. And now it feels like it slides in to lockup. Could the cut back valve been stuck? Every thing was taken apart and cleaned.

I’m fairly certain the trans will learn lock up and how firm it will be, specially at stock knock down pressure.

Are you running decent power that thing?

Oldvintageiron

Jul 5, 2014
I’m fairly certain the trans will learn lock up and how firm it will be, specially at stock knock down pressure.

Are you running decent power that thing?

I’m just running an 80hp tune. But I tow mostly with it. The way the converter locked up before would put a smile on my face. Now it just feels like a slushy stock converter. I think I’ll take the trans out and modify the cut back valve.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’m just running an 80hp tune. But I tow mostly with it. The way the converter locked up before would put a smile on my face. Now it just feels like a slushy stock converter. I think I’ll take the trans out and modify the cut back valve.

I would agree