Slicks for 2WD

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
What are you 2WD guys around here running at the track? Drag radials, cheater slicks, or slicks? What size are you running? What is the best 60' time you've gotten on your setup? What tires are you running up front?

We'll be building the trans, tuning, shimming the FPRV, gauges, exhaust, and installing a lift pump, he originally said it was just gonna be for the street and towing; then he called today asking about the slicks :D so I figured I would ask the guys that are doing it here. I would like to stick to 16" rim to give him the most sidewall.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
the second ones look like they would work well for him. will a 33" od and a 12" tread width even fit in the wheel wells? not to mention you would need to run like a -0 offset to get the tires away from the leaf springs.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
hmm not sure about that. i know i got a set of rims and tires off a work van and they fit the same way my stockers did.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
guys run 33 x 12.5s on these trucks all the time, many times with just a leveling kit up front. They will fit the back wheel wells just fine. 16x12 8 lug rims are mostly made for lifted trucks and have like 4.5 backspacing so the tires would be plenty far from the leaf springs. I see that J Powel runs a set of 31.5 Nostalgias. It's all gonna depend on how serious Mike (our customer) is about racing and how much he wants to spend.

Last edited:

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
hmm not sure about that. i know i got a set of rims and tires off a work van and they fit the same way my stockers did.

What years were the van/truck?
I tried putting my MB wheels off my 07 truck onto my 06 van. wouldn't fit. Now a friend of mine has some aftermarket wheels on his 07 truck he wants to sell. the offset on his wheels is a little different than the ones on my truck. told him to find out the offset, and we'll give it a test fit.

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
guys run 33 x 12.5s on these trucks all the time, many times with just a leveling kit up front. They will fit the back wheel wells just fine. 16x12 8 lug rims are mostly made for lifted trucks and have like 4.5 backspacing so the tires would be plenty far from the leaf springs. I see that J Powel runs a set of 31.5 Nostalgias. It's all gonna depend on how serious Mike (our customer) is about racing and how much he wants to spend.

ha true i'm thinking he's lowered.

it was an 01 gmc 1 ton van.

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I tried 2wd one time with 12.00-16 m&h nostalgias on my truck once. Cut low 1.9 60ft times. They are recommended on 10-12" wide wheel. I tried them on a 10" wide wheel and they seemed to have too big of a crown.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
OK, where can I get wheels for the van. The best I've found so far are 16X8 and the tires in this thread you guys are saying need 16X10 or 12. Its probably a little easier to find them for the trucks. But, like I said earlier, I tried switching the wheel/tire combo from my 07 lbz truck to my 06 van, aint no way it would work. Offset was different.

I'm thinking I need some 16X10 or X12 to fit the van. Traction is going to be a big issue for me on the van. Now that I've typed this I do remember that I only tried it on the front (took the wheel off the 07 truck and tried to put on the 06 van front). Maybe I should try putting it on the rear of the van. I'll do that this week, probably have the time on Wednesday, and post back. But even if it fits its still not a wide enough wheel

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
how much motor are you dealing with? IMO- thats going to play the bigger part in selection.

500 hp is easier than say 700 hp. Trying to hook 700 in 2 wheel is gonna need more than a 10" slick.

Need more info, please.:)

EDIT- Hoosier makes a 34" slick on a 16" IIRC. ake a look at Jegs or hoosier.

Last edited:

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
As far as the motor in this LMM it will be a tuning only motor with a shim kit, exhaust and lift pump. Pretty much the same setup and tuning that runs 12.4s all day long in our 4WD LBZ on ATs. But he has plans for more and he would rather have overkill now than not enough later.