Sightron Scopes

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'd like to see if there's anyone with personal experience with a Sightron scope. Particularly the S-Tac 4-20x50 model. By what I'm reading, there might not be a better buy for the sub-$500 long range rifle scope. Reportedly has exceptional glass equal to scopes costing upwards of $1000 and has great low light performance. Adjustments supposedly track exceptionally well and return to zero precisely. The deciding factor was on a recommendation to be sure the turrets and the reticles match. i.e. both are MOA or MIL. This one has 1/4 MOA turret adjustments and an MOA reticle.

I'm putting this on an AR-15 6.5 grendel build. I was also looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 and the Meopta Meopro 6-18x50. I was leaning heavily for the Meopta because it receives excellent reviews as well but it doesn't have matched turrets & reticles.

Thoughts?

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
Vortex for sure. My FFP Viper looks better than every scope i've looked through in the 1k and down range. Only better scope I've used is Nightforce. Obviously if you throw budget out the window you can beat them easily (NF, USO, S&B etc.) but for price, features, and warranty.. Vortex is the only glass I'll be running from now on. I have one nice Zeiss left in my safe and that'll be getting pulled when the Gen 2 vipers come out.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
which Vortex do you have? The one I was looking at and can afford (the plain Viper) doesn't have the matched turrets because it only has the option of the V-plex or MilDot reticles. The next step up is the HS-T and has an MOA reticle but it's in the $600 range.

I think I'm going to get the Sightron this time around. I'd like to get a Vortex HS-T or PST for another build when I can afford it. Their customer service and warranty appears to be stellar.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have a few of the lower grade vortex stuff but I love them. Awesome bang for the buck and hold up great

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Heres the video that also shied me away from the lower end Vortex. I think its the Diamondback series in this clip. Hard to refute the low light still shots shown in the video. This same video also shows how well the meopta is.

[YOUTUBE]leZ2egMlxmg[/YOUTUBE]

hatsoim

MR
May 11, 2018
Iowa,Des Moines
Never had the SI, had a few SII's and an SIII.

Nothing wrong with the SII's and SIII. Actually, they're really great scopes IMHO.

You're looking for a variable? For hunting, plinking, target shooting, or a combo of these? What type of CZ is it going on?

Again, never owned an SI, but can say that without a doubt any of the SII scopes are on par, if not better than Weavers, and the Big Sky models of the SII are (to me at least) on par if not better than Leupolds of the same class.

The SIII is a big old bugger, but much more tilted towards target shooting. Doubt you'd want something like that on a sporter. But it's one heck of a scope!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Never had the SI, had a few SII's and an SIII.

Nothing wrong with the SII's and SIII. Actually, they're really great scopes IMHO.

You're looking for a variable? For hunting, plinking, target shooting, or a combo of these? What type of CZ is it going on?

Again, never owned an SI, but can say that without a doubt any of the SII scopes are on par, if not better than Weavers, and the Big Sky models of the SII are (to me at least) on par if not better than Leupolds of the same class.

The SIII is a big old bugger, but much more tilted towards target shooting. Doubt you'd want something like that on a sporter. But it's one heck of a scope!

you're about a year and 4 months late ;)

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I know this is a old Post but I have the s-tac 4-20x50 on my custom howa 7 mag. Shot it multiple times out to 1,000 yards. Turret's track great always return to zero. Glass is clear. A little on the heavy side but over all great glass and great scope for the money