Setup change for towing

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
So I'm about to move into a new house with a two car garage. My kids are begging me to build another drag truck(they found all my old videos of when I ran the 10.50 index in my 92 S10) I'm thinking about stepping out of the diesel game a bit and swapping a carbed LS1 into another square body S10. What would you change in my setup to pull a 10k setup? Need to put the overloads back in, probably pull the traction bars. Right now it's 60 overs, a 10 mil pump, 68vgt with a s480 with race cover. Want something reliable. If it cracks a piston ill throw a set of cut lb7 slugs in it.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Probably just what you mentioned, put the overload springs back, play with trac bar settings or remove them. And get a tow tune, or just watch EGTs & coolant temps carefully while towing.

I tow in a 660 HP tune with a S371, 12mm CP3, and +75% injectors. Just have to pay attention. From what I've found, the lag from a big single is less of an annoyance while towing than when running empty. Your compound setup should work even better, and keep EGTs low.

As a side note, why a carb swap LS1? Is it a class rule or something? The factory LS ECU is really flexible and completely unlocked by the aftermarket, way more so than the Duramax. Grab EFILive or HPTuners and you can set it up to run boost, nitrous control, etc. All with the stock ECU a junkyard engine will probably come with. A set of larger injectors and a fuel pump should cost a lot less than a carb swap setup, assuming you don't have the parts laying around already.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
Would it be worth swapping the 68mm back to the stock turbo?I still have it on the shelf. Not dead set on the carb. Honestly what I'm probably going to do is spend the 7-8k and buy a reg cab S10 that is already swapped with a cage. Then I'll change the small thing I want to. They can be had for pretty cheap with the basics already done. I'll make a few passes then pull it apart.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How heavy are you going to tow? Swapping back would be depending on how picky you are for low end spool up

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Personally for 10k your setup as-is should work well with the addition of the overload leaf or bags. I'd keep the bars myself. As James said, if you're picky on spoolup the stock charger wouldn't be a bad idea but I don't think you'll need it with the ~10k weight you're after plus some extra.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I don't mind the slower spool of a larger charger when towing. You might just want to tweak your tow/haul shift points up a couple hundred RPM if you fall off the charger at low RPM, or just shift down manually.

I'd leave it, but you may find the lag annoying with a trailer. I don't.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
10k is probably the limit. Figure a open deck 16' trailer with a 3k truck and tools. Maybe a few people to ride along is about it. Might just throw the hitch back on it and go with it. Just don't want to put pistons in it first time i tow :D

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I have a oil temp guage, I usually don't see high lol temps but I never have towed with this truck before. I'll have have to talk to Tony about the tune when the time comes.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
10k is probably the limit. Figure a open deck 16' trailer with a 3k truck and tools. Maybe a few people to ride along is about it. Might just throw the hitch back on it and go with it. Just don't want to put pistons in it first time i tow :D

I’d run a 1500uS or less tune and call it good. Pistons aren’t any more likely to break than how the truck was ran before but if you beat on them, I wouldn’t be expecting the best life span from them. Keep oil temp cool, coolant cool and pulse down and you give it the best chance.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
It's had a few rough miles put on it :D worse case it eats a piston it's going back together with cut lb7 slugs and new head gaskets. I don't plan on making any more power with it

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
I'd run it as-is, obviously with the overloads/bags. I towed 14k with my old race truck on a 72vgt/S483, dual pumps, and 60% overs and it did just find. Little laggy off light but definitely manageable. I'm also at a minimum of 5,000' elevation too.