SBC street DD pulling

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Anyone doing any pulling with one? Is it worth $1000 more for a SFI rated clutch?

I only plan on doing maybe 5 hooks a year otherwise only street and racing abuse

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I think the one Jesse runs is sfi.. Mine was not.. I had a 650 dual disc.. It did great for the abuse I put it through

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I had the 650 DD in my lly. Talked to South Bend today they say absolutely no pulling. I don't know if that means it won't hold long or they just don't recommend it because they won't stand behind it then

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I had the 650 DD in my lly. Talked to South Bend today they say absolutely no pulling. I don't know if that means it won't hold long or they just don't recommend it because they won't stand behind it then

From what I was told is the sfi flywheels have a replaceable bronze inlay on the flywheel, and the street clutches do not. That may be different now though. Mine is rated at 850 hp now and is still sprung hub discs also.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
850 now? Did it start out a 650 street dual disk?

I don't know if I can swallow $2000 dollars for a clutch when this is suppose to be a budget build. I found a street dual disc for 900 but I have to drive a few hours.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
850 now? Did it start out a 650 street dual disk?

I don't know if I can swallow $2000 dollars for a clutch when this is suppose to be a budget build. I found a street dual disc for 900 but I have to drive a few hours.
Mine started as a non sfi, but they thought that was weird because mine ended up having the bronze inlay so maybe it was some sort of hybrid. It was a 650 ceramic, I smoked it pulling but that was my fault. After that they rebuild the flywheel with a new inlay put the same ceramic material back on but somehow lightened the discs, this was to reduce the truck from creeping past the staging beams when revved up in gear, even with the clutch pedal all the way down it would creep. And they gave me a whole new weighted pressure plate. I think it was 1750 up front then 900 to have it rebuilt with the new pressure plate. 2k is alot but I justify it by comparing it to the price of a built auto:D

Last edited:

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
That's true, more fun than an auto also. Do you have a transfer case brace on yours?

Has there been any headway on steel pedals or stainless lines. Seems there is a few out there but not readily available. I haven't looked much in the last year.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
That's true, more fun than an auto also. Do you have a transfer case brace on yours?

Has there been any headway on steel pedals or stainless lines. Seems there is a few out there but not readily available. I haven't looked much in the last year.

I was gonna fab my own pedal but no problems yet with the plastic even though I'm sure it doesn't help, someone on here did a stainless line but I can't remember who, they had it made somewhere I believe. I'm all stock in that area. I was thinking about running a brimbo universal clutch master cylinder. You can get them with a shorter stroke and same displacement, so I wouldn't have as much pedal travel to fully disengage the clutch while powershifting. But i think it increases pedal weight feel. And i have yet to do a t case brace. I need to but I think most zfs break the rear case from vibration not power. But i plan on adding one just in case.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Good to know. I picked up the street dual disk tonight. It will have to do for now. Going to check into a braided line and tcase brace when the time comes.

Still need to order the harness and a hood.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Post up your thoughts about the clutch whenever you get it running. Just ordered the same clutch yesterday.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
You'll hate it but also love it.. Sucks for backing up trailers. Holds power great.

I didn't pull much but I just used 4 low for jockeying trailers around. I'll tell you now you won't regret it over buying a performance single disc now those are grabby. And they don't hold much power.

south bend clutch

Aug 20, 2013
The reason we say NO COMPETITION with a street series clutch is the metal it is made of. It is not explosion proof like the SFI rated clutches. Also there are materials used to dampen the clutch that can melt at high temperatures. If you have ever seen a flywheel or pressure plate blow up and come through the floor board you wouldn't take the chance...it's not pretty.

Peter

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Post up your thoughts about the clutch whenever you get it running. Just ordered the same clutch yesterday.

I had the same street dual disk in my lly I sold recently. It held great on a stock truck with just a big tune. Hauled 20k on a gooseneck just fine. Did not do any racing or truck pulling

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
The reason we say NO COMPETITION with a street series clutch is the metal it is made of. It is not explosion proof like the SFI rated clutches. Also there are materials used to dampen the clutch that can melt at high temperatures. If you have ever seen a flywheel or pressure plate blow up and come through the floor board you wouldn't take the chance...it's not pretty.

Peter

I had the same street dual disk in my lly I sold recently. It held great on a stock truck with just a big tune. Hauled 20k on a gooseneck just fine. Did not do any racing or truck pulling

Thanks for the info :thumb: it'll be awhile before mine is running. No drag racing or pulling for me though.