S&B 10-1023 LB7 calibration

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
As with all my scripts, they are in metric, so set EFILive to metric first!

I just installed a S&B 10-1023 "62 gallon" fuel tank. By my measurements, it is 56.2 gallons total, with about 54.7 gallons usable through the included fuel basket. Might be able to sneak a bit more out through the included sump, but I prefer the basket. Regardless, it is over 2x the usable capacity of my stock tank, so I am happy.

This is for the 10-1023 tank (2001-2004 trucks), but the 10-1006 tank (2004-2010 trucks) is the same physical thing with the sending unit inverted. So you might be able to just reverse this calibration and be fine for that tank on the newer trucks. For reference, my sending unit is labeled BD0000717, which seems to cross to basically every pre-LLY truck.

I used a GPI 113255-20M6TSC fuel meter (Tractor Supply Co. special) on one of our gravity feed farm tanks to fill it up ½ gallon at a time and build a calibration table. Didn't want to sit at a gas station for an hour and argue with the attendant to do this. Again. LOL

The meter claims ±5% (but I would always get 5.0 gallons when filling a 5 gallon can, so seems better than that). Nonetheless, while the total gallons might be off in the calibration, the curve should be valid, so the fuel gauge should go down linearly, even if the range estimate is off a bit.

Anyway, I attached 2 different EFILive scripts, one for the full range of the tank, and one with 10L (2.6 gal) removed as a "reserve". I haven't yet run this tank down to the fuel light, so use at your own risk, but I believe this to be a good calibration. I will post back if I have any updates, but that probably won't be until January 5, 2021 when I drive back to Boise.

If people are interested, I can write up my thoughts on the install process and/or tank in general.

As with all my scripts, they are in metric, so set EFILive to metric first!

Attachments

• S&B_10-1023_Metric.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 8
  • S&B_10-1023_10L_reserve_Metric.txt
    5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201223_105424.jpg
    IMG_20201223_105424.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 40

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
I installed one of these a few weeks ago. I did use the sump on it. I didn't make any changes for my gauge as S&B claims none is needed. I put 5 gallons in it right after install, no fuel light. Drove about 50 miles before fuel light came on, something I never even knew it had because truck would run out of fuel before it ever came on factory. Pulled into a station and filled up $125 and 54.5 gallons later (had to reset pump because of $65 card limit lol) it was topped off. I didn't pay attention to the range estimate but I never have. Thanks for the file I will give it a shot.

PS the most I even put in factory tank was 24 gallons on dead empty and I mean dead.

Reactions: DAVe3283

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I routinely put 24-25 gallons in my ‘04. And 26 gallons once haha. I could drive for a while with the light on. My ‘07 most I’ve put in has been 22 gallons. Only seen the light a couple times.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I installed one of these a few weeks ago. I did use the sump on it. I didn't make any changes for my gauge as S&B claims none is needed. I put 5 gallons in it right after install, no fuel light. Drove about 50 miles before fuel light came on, something I never even knew it had because truck would run out of fuel before it ever came on factory. Pulled into a station and filled up $125 and 54.5 gallons later (had to reset pump because of $65 card limit lol) it was topped off. I didn't pay attention to the range estimate but I never have. Thanks for the file I will give it a shot.

PS the most I even put in factory tank was 24 gallons on dead empty and I mean dead.
That matches my experience with this tank. I put 5 gallons in, then ran the lift pump until it was sucking air and got about 3.5 gallons out before I figured the truck wouldn't really run anymore. Looks like you came up within 0.2 gal of my capacity measurements, so that little fuel meter must be halfway decent.

Looking at the stock fuel table, it should be fine to run the real map (without the reserve), as that is closer to stock low-tank behavior. The one with the 10L reserve will set the fuel light way sooner than stock. The lowest value I measured when this tank was bone empty was 0.725 volts, and stock shows fuel down to 0.66 volts. The reserve calibration doesn't show fuel until 0.92 volts, which seems excessive in light of what you said. Assuming the fuel sender has no major variance unit to unit, of course. But if you weren't running out of fuel with the stock calibration, you won't run out with either option here. And your range on the dash should be pretty close.

Trimox

Aug 31, 2017
But if you weren't running out of fuel with the stock calibration, you won't run out with either option here. And your range on the dash should be pretty close.

As you know this may take awhile since I filled it up. Until I go back to work around the end of Jan and hook the camper to it I don't know if I will be able to burn a full tank:love:. Wife will hate less fuel stops but I will love it.:)

I will load it up and see if the range is different between the 2.

I did swap to an 05 filler neck when I did it so I could fill up at the big boy pumps without barely holding the lever.

Reactions: DAVe3283

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think it'd be pretty funny to see "1000 mi" on the range readout.
I can tell you from when I was calibrating it, I loaded in a tune that was perfectly linear and reported 0-500L, and the dash stops at 999 miles of range. Kind of like how the instant econ stops at 99 MPG.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Here ya go Tom!
52a37b38c2e956b075b71b3b31b420d1.jpg

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
On the trip back from NorCal to Boise, no fuel stops (heck yes!) and arrived with the needle a smidge over ¼. Since it was CA/summer diesel, and it is known to get cold here, I filled it up so I don't gel up next time I drive. Took 35.5 gallons. I'm using the calibration with the reserve (I like to run around with the gauge on E to annoy my friends & family), so that puts the gauge within 4% or better of where it "should" be. So this calibration is looking pretty good, IMO.

I'll report back when I have actually run it down to the fuel light now that I have winter fuel in it, but that could take some time driving around the Treasure Valley.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Nice work. I’d love an under bed tank but for the money it’s hard to do for me. I had a 60gal in the bed this last trip and it was awesome to not have to worry about finding fuel.