Rear suspension setup

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
What are you guys doing for the rear suspension setup?

My truck is as follows: 3” drop shackles, overloads removed, caltracs. Front is factory with bolts removed. The rear still sits around 1.5-2in higher than the front.

I’ve seen folks drop down to one leaf, and use coil overs on rear shock mounts? I’ve considered just doing lowering hangers? Basically I want a well performing setup that has my truck sitting level.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

My truck is as follows: 3” drop shackles, overloads removed, caltracs. Front is factory with bolts removed. The rear still sits around 1.5-2in higher than the front.

I’ve seen folks drop down to one leaf, and use coil overs on rear shock mounts? I’ve considered just doing lowering hangers? Basically I want a well performing setup that has my truck sitting level.

half the hangers out there on the market do not work with caltracs but there are some that do. basically any hanger that loops under the spring eye will not work with caltracs but if it holds the spring eye from above it will work.

i've seen some guys go to 3 leafs but its still not quite perfectly level but its close, to get mine close i had to put the bolts back in about a turn and a half but i also have 3" LCA 3" shackles and 2" hangers and no OL

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I bought spring hangers on ebay that hold from the top, allowing caltrac to be used. IMO, they were well made parts. Make sure you buy the correct ones for your cab/box config.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I moved my factory hangers up and have 3 leafs. The djm hangers for the long bed will work with caltracs just not sure if they would bolt up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

you mean with all that fancy equipment, you can draw up/cut out a billet hanger? the hell wade!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
you mean with all that fancy equipment, you can draw up/cut out a billet hanger? the hell wade!

Not for what I can buy some for lol! My truck really gets after the tires (4x4) now that I have a trans that puts it down.

I may be texting you about doing a coil over setup on the front also! If you want to help a guy out picking out parts and setting it up properly.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not for what I can buy some for lol! My truck really gets after the tires (4x4) now that I have a trans that puts it down.

I may be texting you about doing a coil over setup on the front also! If you want to help a guy out picking out parts and setting it up properly.

I don’t see why I can’t help ya with that ;D

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
With my truck being gutted in the rear I get away with running 2 springs in the rear. The top one and the 2nd one down is cut off behind the spring perch and on stock shackles. Sits about perfectly level with the tbars dropped all the way in the front. Also have caltracs and rear mounted ranchos still. And just added an anti roll bar setup.

Edit, and also have spring clamps holding the front of the second spring up to the top spring to keep it from fanning apart.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
I'm still in progress but I only have 2 leafs, mcgaughys hangers, Caltrans and 3 inch shackles. I bought viking shocks and couldnt get them to work with the stock mounts so I just completely redid it all to get the shocks vertical and used adjustable coil over mounts on the axel. In the lowest setting I don't think I'll be able to bring the front down enough to match the rear with a little negative CV (on coilovers)and drop spindles. If you're trying to go as low as possible the front will stop you first.