Opinion on diesel over gas

Martin K

Sep 19, 2015
I own a 2008 Chevy 2500 with 6 liter gas engine and 3:73 axle I believe. Truck is rated for 9500 lbs. Anyway I'm considering a larger fifth wheel RV and will need upgraded tow vehicle. I'm considering 2016 Chevy 3500 diesel but hear many stories of repair costs of the diesel engine mainly becouse of pollution and other add ons for the environment. Trying to decide if diesel is worth added expense. Fifth wheel I'm considering will be around 14,000 lb to 15,000 lb. I believe the GAVWR is 14,000 lb. Axle 12,000 lb and hitch 2590 lb. I realize this is a Chevy forum but Ford claims to tow 15,000 lbs with gas. Waiting to see if Chevy improves towing with gas or if it will work with 6 liter 4:10 axle. Does anyone tow heavy fifth wheel with Chevy gas power or anyone have opinions of maintenance and repairs of the 2015 or newer diesel? Trying to understand both engines becouse this is a lot of money.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I went gas this time around on my 15. For just using it to pull my 5th wheel every other weekend its OK. But would hate it if I needed to pull more often. The milage pulling sucks and its gutless. But not having the price tag, cheaper fuel, cheaper maintenance, and less head aches makes it worth it to me. The emissions on these new trucks scare me away also. Brother bought a lml to pull camper wit . Has a Honda for a dd. Since his truck sits a lot he gets the poor quality urea code all the time.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
yeah, I'd ask you how frequently you were going to tow, how many miles and over what kind of topography... and I'd suggest finding a clean older model and fret not about some miles, because stock trucks are nearly bulletproof if maintained properly. You'll save quite a chunk of cash buying an older model and quickly even the playing field (so to speak) of cost between a gasser and diesel (albeit, comparing a new(er) gasser to an old(er)/used diesel)

I'd also suggest caution in the train of thought that a gasser is "cheaper" in maintenance and fuel costs, cuz I'd bet that you're looking and thinking about it for an unladen vehicles maintenance schedule and fuel consumption....and I guarantee that once you start pulling a heavy fifth wheel that a gassers maintenance and consumption will double (or should) whereas, he'll, that's a diesels bread and butter and neither maintenance or fuel consumption will suffer like a gasser does, pulling the same weight

the bottom line for me would be frequency and duration of travels and the thought would be "a gasser WILL DO it, but a diesel WAS BUILT for it"

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
yeah, I'd ask you how frequently you were going to tow, how many miles and over what kind of topography... and I'd suggest finding a clean older model and fret not about some miles, because stock trucks are nearly bulletproof if maintained properly. You'll save quite a chunk of cash buying an older model and quickly even the playing field (so to speak) of cost between a gasser and diesel (albeit, comparing a new(er) gasser to an old(er)/used diesel)

I'd also suggest caution in the train of thought that a gasser is "cheaper" in maintenance and fuel costs, cuz I'd bet that you're looking and thinking about it for an unladen vehicles maintenance schedule and fuel consumption....and I guarantee that once you start pulling a heavy fifth wheel that a gassers maintenance and consumption will double (or should) whereas, he'll, that's a diesels bread and butter and neither maintenance or fuel consumption will suffer like a gasser does, pulling the same weight

the bottom line for me would be frequency and duration of travels and the thought would be "a gasser WILL DO it, but a diesel WAS BUILT for it"

Don't forget the cost or urea, treatment and electric in the winter months.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Don't forget the cost or urea, treatment and electric in the winter months.

Yup yup, good points.
I know Urea has many positive environmental benefits, but, the introduction of Urea to the emissions system is one of the primary reasons the older trucks will always appeal to me and why I have no desire to own a new one, and also why I suggested to OP to find a clean used one. I'd look for one somewhere between 05.5 to 08/09, cuz didn't urea come into play on the Dmax in mid 2010?

but bottom line is, older model=no urea

electric...meh, I suppose you should account for that, but some climates require that gassers also have a block heater...and I park in a cozy garage:D