Odd noise with clutch

rodman68

Dec 9, 2015
Tumwater, WA
Ok so I have an odd noise in the dmax I have the ZF6 in it so at around 800-900rpms when I push the clutch in or out there is an odd noise. Only seems to do it around those rpms to me it doesn't sound like a throw out bearing when I had them go out the squeal really bad. Sounds kinda like a rattle what do these dual mass flywheels sound like when the are going?

south bend clutch

Aug 20, 2013
Be careful when they start to rattle it means they are on the way out. If you start getting a vibration the flywheel is coming apart and if continued to drive will hurt the thrust bearings in the crank and possible transmission damage.

Peter

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Is there any way to check for damage without pulling the transmission? Clutch and flywheel were replaced about 7k miles ago in November 2014 but i guess they could go bad by then?

rodman68

Dec 9, 2015
Tumwater, WA
Ok so listening to noise on DMF on youtube and some actually sound like what I have issues with. So is it better to change to a SMF and what is the advantage of a DMF?

south bend clutch

Aug 20, 2013
If you get a properly dampened clutch disc with the solid flywheel then stepping away from the DMF is fine. Unfortunately there is no inspection plate to look inside the bellhousing.

CarolinaHD I wouldn't think your DMF would be bad in 7,000 miles. You may want to check your injectors.

Peter