nhrda/schied cage specs 10.99 et

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I'm having trouble finding actual specs on cage material rules and measurement specs. The zf is getting a cage and slicks and going for 10s this year before scheid is the plan. I'm trying to hit a 10.99 before scheid and then maybe go up there and run maybe if all goes well. I have a guy wanting to sponsor me a cage and we measured a very rough 45 to 50 feet of tubing would be required for forward door kickers, a main hoop, cross bar in the main hoop, and rear axle centerline kickers. The guy has some left over tubing from a cage on a hummer but if I'm gonna put one in it I want it to pass tech at the track. I don't want to dodge demon this cage lol. Any Info is appreciated

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Nhra website has pretty written out rules for thickness. My half ton cage is 1 5/8 cromoly. 10 point cage, with a funny car cage, it will be legal to 8.50.

Over build your cage. My truck will never see 8.50 but when I'm upside down I know that cage around my helmet won't fail.

A 6 point roll bar is good to 10.0 or 135mph. That's what I had on my LB7

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Nhra website has pretty written out rules for thickness. My half ton cage is 1 5/8 cromoly. 10 point cage, with a funny car cage, it will be legal to 8.50.

Over build your cage. My truck will never see 8.50 but when I'm upside down I know that cage around my helmet won't fail.

A 6 point roll bar is good to 10.0 or 135mph. That's what I had on my LB7

I didn't know if they just used nhra rules. Found all the rules on nhrda except the specifics on the cages. Figured our trucks are pretty heavy so I didn't know of the rules crossed over or not. I'll get on there and check it out.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
So i can just find a 10 point on nhra. Is the 6 point the same just minus a few bars? Or would they be different all together?

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
So technically you only need a 5 point bar up to 10.00. But if you go the bar route then it needs to be out of 1-3/4".
Roll cages can be built out of 1-5/8". All of this can be found on the NHRA website/rule book. NHRDA follows NHRA rules.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
So technically you only need a 5 point bar up to 10.00. But if you go the bar route then it needs to be out of 1-3/4".
Roll cages can be built out of 1-5/8". All of this can be found on the NHRA website/rule book. NHRDA follows NHRA rules.

I've downloaded the pdf file and have been reading and trying to make scents out of it. It's not bad I'll probably do a 6 point. It's the other stuff I'm reading is Making the cage sseem like the easy part. Reading up on jackets and sfi bellhousing blankets and such

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I never thought I'd have a zf that needed a cage lol. But here we are . Better make some room on that 10.99 list:thumb:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Bumping this back up. The cage is coming along nice just need some tips on the under cab frame mounts. Ne-max has rec tube mounts but has a mild steel cage so I didn't k ow of I could go ahead and do my Molly bars to a mild steel tube or not? I mean I'm welding the rear bars to the frame. I am to far along to bend the ends of the hoop and down bars in to the frame. If I can just use square or rec tube is there a spec on what I can use in terms of size of the tube and thickness? I think I'm thinking to much into it as the frame mounting rules are vague and probably don't matter much.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Do you know who you are having cert your cage? If so call them. We had to make some phone calls when they did mine cause nhra specs are all over the place

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'll have to find out, how do I go about finding out who can do it.

Look nhra website and find the tech in your area. Get ahold of them and have some ideas of how you plan to attach the cage to the fame drawn up. Send him pics and ask him what he thinks. He will ultimately determine what will pass or not and knows very well what is best.

Having been down the road you are going, doing this will save you a lot of headache

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Look nhra website and find the tech in your area. Get ahold of them and have some ideas of how you plan to attach the cage to the fame drawn up. Send him pics and ask him what he thinks. He will ultimately determine what will pass or not and knows very well what is best.

Having been down the road you are going, doing this will save you a lot of headache
I got a hold of him James and just asked the best way. He said do a rocker plate, then run a 2x3 .125 mild steel rec tube between the frame and rocker plate. That can all be mig welded but the chromolly tube coming down to the top of the 2x3 must be tig welded still.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
That's how mine is. I have the rocker box between the front bar of the cage and the rear so it ties it into the frame. I'll get a few pics when the truck comes back home next weekend.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I got a hold of him James and just asked the best way. He said do a rocker plate, then run a 2x3 .125 mild steel rec tube between the frame and rocker plate. That can all be mig welded but the chromolly tube coming down to the top of the 2x3 must be tig welded still.

There ya go. The chromoly must be tigged due to how mig welding process happens. Mig will make the chromoly brittle so they mandate tig for chromoly for safety