LMM: Mods from stock to Sleeper

1ceman

Sep 20, 2010
I know what it takes to go 9.90's in a 1/4 with gas. Later I learned some diesel from having a Power Stroke in the past and I drove big truck years ago so I understand the basics. I know that each engine has its weakness. As well as having an order on what to upgrade next to take it to the next level.
Since I'm new to the Duramax, what would be a list of the next upgrades to take this truck to the next few levels? Could guys who are starting from scratch have some input from you D-Max Veterans???

I have a 2008 LMM Crew Cab 4x4 to start with

Lets say for starters, taking the truck somewhere into the 12 to 13 sec 1/4 mile (streetable as possible to be a sleeper)...........

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Exhaust, tune, lift pump, transgo Jr. High 12's FPRV, intake, injector tips, trans. 12.50's down pipe, up pipes. 12.20's turbo/nitrous, duel CP3. 11's

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Twin turbos and EFI, lift pump, tie rod sleeves, and definitely transmission work. With twin turbos it'll be smooth and a pleasure to drive. Hardly anything at the stoplight will be faster. For a sleeper keep it looking innocent, stay away from large bling wheels and lift.

1ceman

Sep 20, 2010
What about preferences based on actual experience? I know that as like every other technology, some are better than others, and 1 company doesnt make the best of everything. I know everyone has their "favorite" but if there was a top 3 in each of these categories, what would they be??

For example, when it comes to programmers, I hear a bunch of people say stay clear from BullyDog. I know that not all companies have the same maps. Some being customizable as well.

The reason is, I dont want to go waste $500+ on an upgrade that would have to be changed out 6 months later, and that money could have been spent else where.

I was once told that its wise to learn from your mistakes, but wiser to learn from those who have all ready done it !

Nemo

<<--- Sleeping :)
Aug 8, 2008
NM
www.EvolvedMS.com
What about preferences based on actual experience? I know that as like every other technology, some are better than others, and 1 company doesnt make the best of everything. I know everyone has their "favorite" but if there was a top 3 in each of these categories, what would they be??

For example, when it comes to programmers, I hear a bunch of people say stay clear from BullyDog. I know that not all companies have the same maps. Some being customizable as well.

The reason is, I dont want to go waste $500+ on an upgrade that would have to be changed out 6 months later, and that money could have been spent else where.

I was once told that its wise to learn from your mistakes, but wiser to learn from those who have all ready done it !

Go with EFILive and dont look back. :thumb:

1ceman

Sep 20, 2010
LOL, as far as the EFI Live, I see there are many different peoples tunes available for the motor and trans. Any suggestions who is recommended ? I know that a bad tune can trash a motor.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
For a trans go to mike L . For the dual fuelers PPE, turbos....to many good options on those. For internals so cal diesel will have you covered

Nemo

<<--- Sleeping :)
Aug 8, 2008
NM
www.EvolvedMS.com
LOL, as far as the EFI Live, I see there are many different peoples tunes available for the motor and trans. Any suggestions who is recommended ? I know that a bad tune can trash a motor.

SS Diesel tuning has been great to me so far... Idaho Rob, Killer Bee, theres a few great tuners. :thumb: I cant speak of any others because ive never personally used their tunes.

Last edited:

1ceman

Sep 20, 2010
Thanks guys. There is a lot of information here to look into. And your response has been quick. I just have to make the pocket book keep up with the posts :rofl: