Modded cp3 pump

DIESELJEFF

CETANE ADDICT
May 23, 2008
HALF MOON BAY, CA
SO IM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THIS WHOLE "MODDED CP3" THING. IM SEEING THAT YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF FOR 15% MORE FUEL OR BUY ONE THAT GIVES YOU 42% MORE FUEL. IM WONDERING IF 15% WILL REALLY DO ME ANY GOOD. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS? I HAVE AN '03. WHATS THE DIEFFERENCE FROMM YEAR TO YEAR BETWEEN THE CP3 PUMPS? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
lbz or lmm pump will flow tons more than lb7 and lly pumps. find a lbz pump and mod it and swap it out.

but even a fully modded cp3 pump wont be as good a dual cp3's.

very close but not enough.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
pat told me the stock lbz pump only flowed 8% better than the stock lb7 pump...i have both, th lbz is in it right now and not holding pressure..i am going to mod it and see how she does..if not enough then i will send it to Wicked Diesels to do....since i don't have the means of increasing plunger volume, I can just ensure the stock plungers are being filled with fuel

WICKED DIESELS

you need more fuel
The later versions do flow a little more than stock, they are also more difficult to mod. The LB7/LLY style pumps support the increased displacement better. A 321 LPH pump is being tested now. The LBZ pumps we built were 292 LPH. This is displacement @3500 rpm, the factory pump is 236 LPH.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The later versions do flow a little more than stock, they are also more difficult to mod. The LB7/LLY style pumps support the increased displacement better. A 321 LPH pump is being tested now. The LBZ pumps we built were 292 LPH. This is displacement @3500 rpm, the factory pump is 236 LPH.

Did this pump also have one of your modded FPR's on it? How much more is expected by adding a modded FPR to a good condition stock LBZ pump?

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Yes it did. The LBZ regulator already flows very well in stock form. We might be able to get an additional 10% out of the regulators, maybe more. We now have a test stand in the shop, so we will be able to provide real data very soon.

Home made test stand or a Bosch/bosch "type" of test stand?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yes it did. The LBZ regulator already flows very well in stock form. We might be able to get an additional 10% out of the regulators, maybe more. We now have a test stand in the shop, so we will be able to provide real data very soon.

Uh Oh, Does this mean the regulator I have but haven't installed yet on my LBZ may not be the best thing out there? Should I wait to install it?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
( not trying to step on vendor toes!) But I modded my own CP3 myself, on my 03 LB7 and yes there is a differance! I also have a dual feed line and that helped pretty well too. BUT you gotta be carful doing the mod or you'll ruin some pricy stuff! I'm cheap and i enjoy doing that kinda stuff so no biggie for me. I wish i had the means to "stroke" my pump but i'll leave that to Wicked :rofl::hug:

However...Does anyone have a junk CP3 they want next to nothing for? Or free:D I really want a junker to take apart to actually see inside of myself. I have a possibly
stupid/genius idea that i want to look in too maybe trying but i need a junker CP3 to look at to see if its feasable:hug:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Check Ebay for used pumps. There's usually a couple cheapo's on their every once in a while. Seems the dodges like to eat them quite regularily on the older 24 valves.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
( not trying to step on vendor toes!) But I modded my own CP3 myself, on my 03 LB7 and yes there is a differance! I also have a dual feed line and that helped pretty well too. BUT you gotta be carful doing the mod or you'll ruin some pricy stuff! I'm cheap and i enjoy doing that kinda stuff so no biggie for me. I wish i had the means to "stroke" my pump but i'll leave that to Wicked :rofl::hug:

However...Does anyone have a junk CP3 they want next to nothing for? Or free:D I really want a junker to take apart to actually see inside of myself. I have a possibly
stupid/genius idea that i want to look in too maybe trying but i need a junker CP3 to look at to see if its feasable:hug:

i got a modded fca on my pump, im gonna replace it now truck wont even make over 400hp on the dyno and it cant even keep up with stock demands, had it tested with a tech II:baby: