LML LML drag wheel/tire setup

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Looking around for some info as stated in the title.

16x10 and 30x14 cheaters seem to be a popular combo for a lot of guys. Wondered if somebody could tell me if a 16” wheel will clear on the front on a LML? Is there anything available in a 16 inch wheel, 8x180? Or will I be better off finding a 17-18” set up?

I’d really like to stay in the 50-60 # range per corner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
That’s what I thot, just wanted confirmation. Thanks. Looks like I’ll need to find a light 17” setup.

Is there any difference in 17” or 18” as far as tire availability goes?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That’s what I thot, just wanted confirmation. Thanks. Looks like I’ll need to find a light 17” setup.

Is there any difference in 17” or 18” as far as tire availability goes?

My understanding is mo sidewall = mo betta

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
My understanding is mo sidewall = mo betta

Absolutely!

I guess my main question is, how much will the tire height affect trap speed, 60’, etc. Is there an optimal size to shoot for?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
^^ yes but if you are stuck in the limitations of the brakes, ive had really good luck on 18's with a set of 345/45r18 hoosier drag radials. assuming you want to stay radial. we pull low 1.4s at 6200lbs (was going for high 1.3s at that weight but pulling a ton of weight currently)

a big sidewall can be the great equalizer on not so great tracks, not so great suspension setup, and so on.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I would prefer to stick with a radial. Sounds like the Hoosiers are doing alright for you, I’ll check into them.

The wheels I’ve looked at so far that have lighter wheels are Real, Raceline, Weld, Procomp, Mickey Thompson, Eagle Alloy, Ultra. Nothing jumped out at me as having an 8x180 available, I’ll have to dig a bit more when I have more time. Anybody know offhand if any of these are more readily available in 8x180?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Damn matt.

I mention a track day last night. Your looking at cheaters today. LOL

Ever since the trucks been more dialed I realized I need to get something lined up if I want any kind of traction lol. Trying not to do it last minute.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Ever since the trucks been more dialed I realized I need to get something lined up if I want any kind of traction lol. Trying not to do it last minute.

Cheaters are not a radial so from size and that sandpoint they are out.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Only thing that I was worried about cheaters is how they feel towards the top end of the quarter. Don’t really wanna feel to squirrelly.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Only thing that I was worried about cheaters is how they feel towards the top end of the quarter. Don’t really wanna feel to squirrelly.

that will come with big sidewall as well as radials dont run a ton of plys in the sidewall either. if you ran a 17 or 18 in a cheater, it might be a tad bit more unstable but i doubt you would feel much difference between them assuming you compare size for size equally.

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
that will come with big sidewall as well as radials dont run a ton of plys in the sidewall either. if you ran a 17 or 18 in a cheater, it might be a tad bit more unstable but i doubt you would feel much difference between them assuming you compare size for size equally.

That 345/45/18 looks to be comparable height wise to a 30x14. Is it worth trying to find something in a 31-32” tire if I do an 18” wheel, or would the added weight make it a moot point?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you wont find anything taller than the 345/45R18. Least between M&H, hoosier, and mickey thompson. might be an odd ball size somewhere i missed but when we were looking for tire sizes a couple years ago, this is what we came up with as the tallest tire (needed the size to run 3rd gear out to the end of the 8th)

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Hadn’t looked at sizes myself, but I wondered if that wasn’t the case. Looks like I’ll be shopping some 18” wheels tonight.

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
you wont find anything taller than the 345/45R18. Least between M&H, hoosier, and mickey thompson. might be an odd ball size somewhere i missed but when we were looking for tire sizes a couple years ago, this is what we came up with as the tallest tire (needed the size to run 3rd gear out to the end of the 8th)

That’s where I was failing with my set up, ran out of gear before the eighth. Should of done this a long time ago.
The OP will have a better selection in the 18 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That’s where I was failing with my set up, ran out of gear before the eighth. Should of done this a long time ago.
The OP will have a better selection in the 18 range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yup. We were turning 5400rpm at the end of the 8th in 3rd (this is in the race cummins fyi). dropping the weight, we will need to most likely go to 3.42's to stay out of 4th still.