LLY turbo rebuild

Mackenu

Big Al
Jun 4, 2017
Ca.
I'm looking for a couple of suggestions from turbo guru's, thanks in advance.
I've owned my 2005 cc lt with LLY since new, it has 35" tires and 6" lift.i use it to tow a dump trailer with a t190 bobcat in it total weight towed is around 11,000-12,000 lbs. The turbo started making vibration noise under acceleration so I'm wondering what's the reason for and if rebuild is needed what would be my best setup for long term use. I know it's restricted because it's stock and wanted to open it up and let it rip. I don't want to do tranny yet but was thinking about turbo and exhaust upgrade maybe delete kit and up pipes too.Any ideas would be appreciated ....

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
I know with just doing lbz intake horn and 3"down pipe and 4" exhaust the lly wakes up. When i was looking into a turbo myself I could never decide between rebuilding/reworking a stock turbo (port and polish with new compressor and turbo wheel with new vanes.) or a Danville stg2r the cost is damn near and you can do a 66 or 68mm. The only thing is, tuning. You will have to get efi so thats another cost to look at. Now if you rework a stock turbo im not sure at what point you will need tuning but if your hauling for work tuning wouldnt be bad idea for the turbo brake. I have never rebuilt a turbo but as stait forward as it looks i think it needs some knowledge to get it built right(you will have some coin into it hate to see it fail) but if you buy one off the shelf it is a drop on unit. As far as the tranny goes after it is installed and tunned trying to keep your foot out of it will be hard. IMHO i think it would be a matter of time before it needs rebuilding. That was my problem with the idea of upgrading the turbo. It will be interesting to see what decision and route you go. Hope some others chime in. Some very smart and knowledgeable people on here.