LBZ stock turbo rebuild

SilverFlash

Feb 28, 2018
SoCal
I have been poking around many of the turbo threads. I read the great IHI showdown thread. I had stuck vanes. Well the vanes were free. The ring was stuck on the housing and would not rotate. While I am in there I am wanting to do a few mods.

1- New rebuild kit with 360 bearing
2- Wicked wheel 2
3- new stainless ring with vanes (OEM profiles)
4- Polished comp housing

Number 5 is my biggest question

5- Upgrade to 10 blade 6.0L turbine wheel
----Many of them require machining of the turbine housing or there is a drop in from SP Turboost.

Is it worth machining to accommodate slightly larger 6.0L 10 blade wheel or should I simply leave stock turbine or use the drop in 10 blade?

6- Cerakote turbine housing inside and out

Thanks for any input.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
I have run many variations of the modified VGT (both single and twin) with the larger Garrett turbines. It is a worthwhile upgrade. I do spend time dialing in part throttle and cruise to make it respond the way I want. You may be money ahead getting a modified VGT turbo already done. Lots of great vendors on here. I don't know of anyone who knows more about modifying and tuning VGT than Mark at Danville.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
After time and material I decided to just get one of Marks Stg2 3794s. It might not spool quite as well as an LBZ turbo, but it makes more topend power. I’m very happy with the turbo. I’m not a huge fan of all the whistle, but when I get it a twin that will go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
I also was looking at building a stock vvt but, all said and done the cost was alot higher then just buying a turbo from mark. So when the itch happens ill scratch it with a Danville turbo and tuning.