LBZ Coolant leak dripping on front driveshaft

LBZ_tom

Jul 9, 2017
My lbz has a leak that has been running down the bellhousing only when cold. Resealed oil cooler, checked turbo lines, upper radiator hose is not hard in the morning. I have searched everywhere and this leak is driving me insane. What else could possibly be leaking coolant?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Get a coolant leak test kit. With the engine cold, pump the cooling system up to 20 PSI. Now crawl around and look for the leak. It will be easy to spot. I've done this several times, adding pressure when the engine is cold is really convenient, since seals and everything are still loose, and you don't burn yourself reaching around/under things to check for wetness.

Reactions: Leadfoot

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Valley can be head gasket, but it can also be turbo coolant feed or return, cracked turbo center section (never heard of this but theoretically possible), EGR cooler feed or return, the cooler itself, thermostat gaskets, coolant crossover pipe gasket, or the heater core feed or return. You might have to borrow a borescope and look around for the leak, as you can't really get your hands down in the valley.

LBZ_tom

Jul 9, 2017
UPDATE: Rear cover was cracked, Coolant was leaking out of crack above the oil filter adapter 90, got that replaced and holds 15 psi no problem.

SAC owner

Aug 18, 2017
Valley can be head gasket, but it can also be turbo coolant feed or return, cracked turbo center section (never heard of this but theoretically possible), EGR cooler feed or return, the cooler itself, thermostat gaskets, coolant crossover pipe gasket, or the heater core feed or return. You might have to borrow a borescope and look around for the leak, as you can't really get your hands down in the valley.

I see he found the leak, but for information the head gasket can not leak towards the valley as that is where the push rods and oil pass there is no coolant passage on the upper portion of the block or head to seep out.

IsuzuMaxx

Sep 8, 2019
Cracked rear cover coolant leak

UPDATE: Rear cover was cracked, Coolant was leaking out of crack above the oil filter adapter 90, got that replaced and holds 15 psi no problem.

Glad I found this thread... thought I had a leaky oil cooler elbow..? Ok, I kinda did. Hung new gaskets and it was dry - for about 5 minutes.

Leak reappeared so I Sprayed everything down with brake parts cleaner to dry it up & re inspect. Oil cooler elbow was eliminated / no leaks on new elbow gaskets??? Started the truck and started snapping pics in places the eye couldn’t see. Cracked in the same place as quoted above!

Replied so others could have a look - As Always!!, A big thanks to everyone on this forum - Can’t tell you all how much help it is to have this info and the collective of everybody knowledge and experience(s) at my fingertips!!!!

Attachments

• 05DCD399-721C-4F08-B075-C8DF613F001B.jpg
    05DCD399-721C-4F08-B075-C8DF613F001B.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 66
  • D49D5AD1-9DEC-44E0-8A46-1B29D7514738.jpg
    D49D5AD1-9DEC-44E0-8A46-1B29D7514738.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: