Lb7 turbo upgrade ??s

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Mods please move if need be I'm currently very interested in swapping out the ihi turbo on my lb7 for a fleece cheetah 63mm ihi turbo. just a small upgrade as I'm not looking to make gobs of power just a good all around fun semi stock performing daily driver. Anyone who has one with stock fuel similar to my truck in my sig how do you like it for all around use. dd towing sled pulling that's mainly what I use the truck for just looking for insight from actual users I'm pretty set on it just would like feed back from owners of said turbo thanks :thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The cheetah will out do a upgraded stock turbo with a 63 wheel in it. the turbine side works better. plus you get a bigger center section with a stronger shaft.

you will like it. its not going to be a serious change in power from stock but its not going to be very laggy either. i like that turbo or a 364sxe. the 364 will probably do even better at the same or faster spool up than the cheetah but its not a drop in unit.

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I have gone with S366's in both my LB7's. The first was an HTT 366 with the SS exhaust side and waste gate. The second is the one listed in the signature for Emma which has no waste gate. Both were run on stock CP3's to start and lift pump setups similar to yours.

I liked both of the setups. If I had it to do over now, I would use either the 366sxe, or perhaps the 371sxe, at this point I don't have a need for a waste gate on Emma.

I have towed a LOT with the 366's and never had an issue pulling heavier loads up to 8k with either turbo, and they were both a blast to drive without a trailer. I don't have too much problem with spooling, but I have one of Levi's blankets on each turbo. The SS exhaust side HTT turbo does seem to spool faster than the standard S366.

My other issue is I HATE the stock LB7 downpipe bolts, the v-band style flange makes it MUCH easier to work on the turbo.

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
The cheetah will out do a upgraded stock turbo with a 63 wheel in it. the turbine side works better. plus you get a bigger center section with a stronger shaft.

you will like it. its not going to be a serious change in power from stock but its not going to be very laggy either. i like that turbo or a 364sxe. the 364 will probably do even better at the same or faster spool up than the cheetah but its not a drop in unit.

Thank you james a short simple to the point answer is what I was looking for :thumb: