LB7: lb7 heads

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
Does anyone know what the difference is between federal and cali emissions heads? I have 2 sets of lb7 heads and the intake ports are different on one set? and I was using the heads while in school to practice porting and want to get another set but after seeing that the intake runners were different im not sure which one is fed emissions.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
One is for egr and the other is non egr. The egr head has the smaller ports.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
If your talking about the clamshells that attach the y bridge to the head? a federal head will have a open style clamshell cap and will not have a egr. All the ports on a federal head are the same size.I have never seen a cali emission head though, but I've had mine off plenty of times and it's a federal style.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Ca heads actually have different size intake ports, there are larger ones and smaller ones next to each other. Fed heads have all the same size intake ports. If you have both styles and lay them next to each other you’ll see the difference. Technically since the ca head does have some intake ports that are larger then others it flows more (in stock form), but if you were to send them for port work most companies will only work with a fed head.

I would use the fed head for what your doing just to keep things uniform.

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I don't know how much port work you did on the other heads you have, but be careful where passages, bolts, and injectors go. Some of these areas can be misleading and cause you to ruin a head. I think it would be cool to cut the old head you have In to sections.and get a really precise picture.

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
I have pictures of one that is sectioned to see how thin areas are the head im using is junk I was just using it to practice and see how much I could improve it I flowed it before and after porting. I attend the school of automotive technology and took a porting class so I half ass knew what I was doing and increase was a win to me

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
I did some minor porting and polishing to my heads when I did head gaskets. I can't tell a difference, but I was shooting for economy not horsepowa