LB7 - 5" FTE Resonator/Muffler

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
This might not be thread worthy but in my forum/internet searching I never found a good answer on how to stop the deadly LB7 drone...
Ever since I install my Magnaflow 5" exhaust on my pickup (5-6 yrs ago) I've wanted to get rid of the drone it had; I ordered the exhaust with no muffler at the time.
The setup is a 3.5" downpipe right off the IHI turbo into a 5" Magnaflow exhaust w/o a muffler.
A few weeks ago I took a chance and ordered a 5" FTE resonator/muffler; FTE Resonator. Last Saturday once the kids were up and rolling for the day we went out side and installed it.

From what I read people said to install it as far forward as possible. With how tight it is around that bracket by the transmission I thought it was going to be a bear... Thankfully once I crawled under the pickup and took some measurements I saw it was going to fit perfect. The resonator is 30" long which allowed me to unhook the connection at the transfer case, cut off my 5" to 4" reducer, cut off the bracket from the magnaflow front pipe, install/fitup the resonator, and weld the bracket back on. After getting the clamps snug I used some spacers between the exhaust and transmission brace to make sure there wasn't going to be any contact. With everything looking good I welded up the bracket and made sure all the clamps were tight.

After driving the pickup to work I very pleasant with how well the resonator was working. No more drone at 1,800 rpms, quitter in the cab, and over all much more pleasant to drive.
Part of me misses the loud pronounced sound it had when it was straight but guess I'm getting older in that I'm preferring it to be quite now... 😁😁. It will be alot more enjoyable this summer when I'm hauling bales...

Hope this helped out anybody that was on the field on a resonator or was wondering how to get rid of the drone.

Yellowchevy

dndj

Boost!
Apr 13, 2019
Oregon
Cool deal. Do you have any pics you can post up? What kind of clamps did you use?

I have a full Banks 4" system including muffler. Was recommended by many as being mostly drone free, and it's really not too bad at all up front but my rear seat passengers say it's a bit obnoxious on long trips around cruise RPM (1700-1800) on the highway. I was thinking of adding the 17.5" FTE resonator in front of the muffler or just deleting the muffler and putting in the 30" FTE instead. Opinions welcome.

Last edited: