LB7 $0544 when attempting to activate license

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Got a 2002 lb7 here. I can read the tune out just fine. VIN number is good, no crazy characters or anything. When trying to activate the new Vin license so I can flash it, I get the $0544 invalid serial number code. The serial number comes up as 0000000000. Anybody deal with this before? Is the ECM toast? I've had the corrupt ECM in the past where I couldn't read it and the vin was all jacked up, but not saw this before.

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
That’s an odd one for sure Kyle. Are you on the current up to date build? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software? Sometimes that fixes some weird issues that randomly occur.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Got a 2002 lb7 here. I can read the tune out just fine. VIN number is good, no crazy characters or anything. When trying to activate the new Vin license so I can flash it, I get the $0544 invalid serial number code. The serial number comes up as 0000000000. Anybody deal with this before? Is the ECM toast? I've had the corrupt ECM in the past where I couldn't read it and the vin was all jacked up, but not saw this before.

I had that happen a few months ago with a 2004.5 OS, truck had a bully dog programmer and the file had been flashed over with either EFI or HP to hide some codes by a truck dealer in CT that is notorious for this type of thing. I loaded a TIS file in and all was well after that. Serial numbers being zeroed out used to not be a big deal as long as there was no security protocols enabled in the tune you're trying to flash, not sure if that is still the case to be honest.

EDIT: After a quick search on the EFI forum, I guess some OS's and controller types still had issues with serial numbers being zeroed out. I can say that I've been able to fix all of the ones I have seen to date with a TIS flash though.

Last edited:

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
That’s an odd one for sure Kyle. Are you on the current up to date build? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software? Sometimes that fixes some weird issues that randomly occur.

Yes it is up to date, actually just loaded it onto a new computer last week. Tuned a couple lbz's without issues, but I'll definitely try the reinstall and see what happens.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I had that happen a few months ago with a 2004.5 OS, truck had a bully dog programmer and the file had been flashed over with either EFI or HP to hide some codes by a truck dealer in CT that is notorious for this type of thing. I loaded a TIS file in and all was well after that. Serial numbers being zeroed out used to not be a big deal as long as there was no security protocols enabled in the tune you're trying to flash, not sure if that is still the case to be honest.

EDIT: After a quick search on the EFI forum, I guess some OS's and controller types still had issues with serial numbers being zeroed out. I can say that I've been able to fix all of the ones I have seen to date with a TIS flash though.

Buddy just got the truck, no clue on its history, no telling being an 02 lol. He is actually aa big wig at the local gm dealer so he could get it reflashed there for sure. I've read some about continuing to try to access it and it will eventually give you a serial number but I've tried at least 20 times to no avail

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
He took it into the dealer he works at to try a flash an they were unsuccessful also lol. Guess it was junk.

I just had this issue with a customers LB7. Couldn’t get into it via my autocal, V2, or through my bench flash harness. Sent it to get tested and it’s junk. Same $0544 code.