Large Frame Charger Install on LB7

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Gonna be installing my new charger here very soon. I was looking under the hood and in order to fit my 5" intake it looks like the factory coolant line to the turbo that connects at the coolant crossover pipe is gonna be in the way. Has anyone run into this? Will the brass fitting on the crossover pipe get in the way? what can be done about it? Can i cap it off since my new charger will be oil cooled? If so where can a get a cap or plug to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Travis

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Gonna be installing my new charger here very soon. I was looking under the hood and in order to fit my 5" intake it looks like the factory coolant line to the turbo that connects at the coolant crossover pipe is gonna be in the way. Has anyone run into this? Will the brass fitting on the crossover pipe get in the way? what can be done about it? Can i cap it off since my new charger will be oil cooled? If so where can a get a cap or plug to resolve this issue?

Thanks
Travis

Yes travis, I just removed the thermostat, that is the piece it connects to the charger cooling hose, and brazed it shut by cutting it down and brazing it closed. If you need a pic, let me know.

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
Travis, the big problem with running a big intake from the stock location to the charger is the "hood Clearance". Here's a photo of a big intake pipe on a GT42. Notice the dent in the top of the pipe to clear the hood. Anyone recognize this engine Bay? Clue, the truck is in Michigan.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

Thanks
Travis
I bypassed the coolant from the turbo as per instructions, you can see them in the DIY section under HTT turbo

how are you getting the oil? from the cam journal or from the oil filter housing?

Yes travis, I just removed the thermostat, that is the piece it connects to the charger cooling hose, and brazed it shut by cutting it down and brazing it closed. If you need a pic, let me know.
:nopic:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Simon,

I was going to use the cam bearing, I was leary at first because of the fear of spinning a cam bearing and ruining the charger, but I install cam bearings all the time at work and you litterly have to hammer those things in. I think that if my cam bearing was going to spin it would have done it by now.

If yall think otherwise i will run an oil line to the oil filter housing.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Travis, the big problem with running a big intake from the stock location to the charger is the "hood Clearance". Here's a photo of a big intake pipe on a GT42. Notice the dent in the top of the pipe to clear the hood. Anyone recognize this engine Bay? Clue, the truck is in Michigan.

I know who's truck that is :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY

that pipe is in KY now. ;)

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Has anyone welded the bung hole shut for the coolant and relocated it?

Could I just weld it up and cap off the return line?

Getting closer to install this charger and still up in the air on the obstacle

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I would take oil from another place Travis. The valve train needs all the oil it can get IMO. Filter housing with some Simon special braided line would be my first choice!!

As far as clearance issues, Simon does your cowl hood have more clearance than the stocker?? If so, that is an option.

g man

Aug 22, 2006
That intake above w/ the dent was under a GMC cowl hood. The under hood bracing on the aftermarket hood is the same as stock.;) I think some mods could be done to get a little more clearance and maybe a little less flat spot.

or.....

Do like the ricers and install the turbo "pimple". :D