LLY: internal engine balancing

antwon88

Jul 18, 2014
Ok so had a look around and couldn't find a definitive answer so here it goes is it worth completely internal balancing my engine its at the machine shop at the moment and i'm undecided to either external balance it or go full internal job any input :confused: its just a mild build looking for around 800rwhp on this engine through a built allison

antwon88

Jul 18, 2014
ok cool and who would have one of them on the shelf? i have reliefs in my mahle cast race pistons :thumb:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Alt firing cam was designed to limit the harmonic imbalance on the crank. I haven't heard of a single truck breaking the crank with the alt firing cam, I wouldn't build one without it. I know of several stock power or close to stock level trucks that broke there's...

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Look at the broken crank thread in here. Lots of info in there for you to mull over, but I would just get the alt firing order cam and roll with it without worry. Breakage seems random...

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca
Do some reading on here. I would run one on a new build only because I'd be changing the cam anyway, so why not just in case. Plenty of us have been making big power for years before these cams came out. If I were you and I didn't have one I wouldn't worry about it, I don't have one and I'm not worried about one bit.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Ok so had a look around and couldn't find a definitive answer so here it goes is it worth completely internal balancing my engine its at the machine shop at the moment and i'm undecided to either external balance it or go full internal job any input :confused: its just a mild build looking for around 800rwhp on this engine through a built allison

Give Guy a call at Socal Diesel. He does internal balance and has a lot info on the alt fire cam... Tell him what you are looking for out of your engine. I guarantee he won't push something on you he doesn't think you will need...