IFS Woes Again

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Well here are two pics of my broken parts from last weekend.

I broke the drivers side half shaft (CV). The Drivers side Output shaft (the short stub that bolts to the CV) and the inner shaft (the shaft that runs over to the pass shaft and shift fork). All at once on the line. I think what happened was when i was buildign up some heat it got to the point where it wanted to go and i hit the brakes harder and thats when it went pop.

From now on Im just putting it to the floor.

Maybe i should go up the road and talk to larry at profab machine and have him make better ones :D. Theyd probably be cheaper than GMs.

Driver side shaft $255 from GM
Inner shaft $180 from GM (still waiting for it)
New not reman CV Shaft, $106 from NAPA
Sway Bar link Repair Kit $45 from napa (incluses both)

Its a fairly easy fix but definately not cheap.

Heres whats left of the drivers side output shaft

0625092201c.jpg

And heres whats left of the inner shaft

0625092201a.jpg

and im sure you have all see and broken CV

and the video where it breaks im the first guy if you couldnt tell
[YOUTUBE]veh_AXJ15cs[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I broke that stub shaft that bolts to the CV. I found one at a junk yard for 50 bucks. I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one from GM. I could have bought one from Randy's Ring and Pinion for 150. I know a guy that works there but i'm sure he'd give you the same deal.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Man that sucks. :(

I feel for you auto guys tring to get spooled. I never touch the brakes spooling my truck with the manual.

Was that Strobel that went for a launch? That was scary looking.

The last truck. Dmaxlover???? It sure sounded like it was working for a living.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I broke that stub shaft that bolts to the CV. I found one at a junk yard for 50 bucks. I couldn't bring myself to buy a new one from GM. I could have bought one from Randy's Ring and Pinion for 150. I know a guy that works there but i'm sure he'd give you the same deal.

My issue is i just dont have the time to go searching or wait on shipping. But i think ill go to randys ring and pinion from now on.

I get a discount at our GM dealership, I think its a frequent customer discount:D

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Man that sucks. :(

I feel for you auto guys tring to get spooled. I never touch the brakes spooling my truck with the manual.

Was that Strobel that went for a launch? That was scary looking.

The last truck. Dmaxlover???? It sure sounded like it was working for a living.

Ya that was the second time his hitch broke. It broke the week before too. I think theyve got it solved now and the truck can actually spin out vs breaking a hitch. Its pretty mean.

Yes the last truck was John (DMaxlover) ive never heard his truck work like that. Part of it couldve been the trck biting hard but I know he had some trans issues too.

Heres a different angle on his pull.

[YOUTUBE]5NUmQW2kczQ[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Ya that was the second time his hitch broke. It broke the week before too. I think theyve got it solved now and the truck can actually spin out vs breaking a hitch. Its pretty mean.

Yes the last truck was John (DMaxlover) ive never heard his truck work like that. Part of it couldve been the trck biting hard but I know he had some trans issues too.

Heres a different angle on his pull.

[YOUTUBE]5NUmQW2kczQ[/YOUTUBE]

You can see tach in that vid. 2600-2800. Dang that is harsh. Sucks about the trans. Sounds like lots of carnage at that pull.:eek: